Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Accord2k1

DVD in W2K

I have a Pioneer 16x DVD drive and I was wondering if any of you that have this drive or the Hollywood Plus decoder card would it improve the quality enough to warrant buying the $50 or so card? Thanks for your input.

------------------

Not Finished Yet ETA 3/18/01

1 ghz Thunderbird

Abit KT7A-Raid

128 MB Crucial PC133 CL=2 7.5 NS

Pioneer 16x DVD

Plextor 12x/10x/32x CD-RW

Soundblaster Platinum 5.1

I have the Hollywood plus decoder in my system, and I use PowerDVD more often (the sound really gets on my nerves, cos you hear all fuzzy noises and things) because in W2K, the decoder software is unstable, plus the fact that it crashes on some DVD titles like James Bond ones or others. Unless Sigma make it more stable and more like the Win 9X version, (i.e. plays all titles) I would recommend either a software DVD Player, or trying to get you hands on a Creative Labs Decoder (DXR 2, not 3, as 3 doesn't work in W2K) as this card is the best one for playback I have seen on W2K. In fact I might take out the Hollywood and put in the creative card.

Thought this might help you.

------------------

Bob The Builder

http://www.thtproductions.co.uk/

I recently bought a H+ to replace my DXR3 (H+) because I wanted a REAL H+. Well I stuck the H+ in and noticed that 2000 actually crashed 8) 8) smile so I ripped it out and compared the cards. The H+ had a later model number on the main chip than the Dxr3. So I stuck the Dxr3 back in and TADA no more crashes! laugh Only bad thing about the DXR3 is I have to use Zone Selector to use my decoder card. frown oh and the degradation of video quality by using the pass-through cable but I always use software decoders for watching DVD on my monitor anyway.

hmm odd i have no problems at all with my H+. It has worked fine ever since they came out with the new drivers for it. Hell it has worked fine since they came out with the beta drivers for it way back when windows was in RCs

Mine too has worked pretty well. Just One title (Virus, R2) refused to play at all. Only thing that bothers me is that the sounds are lagging a fraction of a second. It's hardly noticiable but still there.

Sigmadesigns has promised to correct this in future driver versions, but I really wouldn't count on that remembering the *REAL* slow pace on their releases.

If you are having problems with DVD station you might wanna try following SW:

http://members.nbci.com/eugene777/dvdplayer.htm

It's a dvd player that uses H+ hardware similarly as DVD Station. Some people say it has way better compatibility than DVD Station.

Hey Accord2k1, you have the same burner and dvd-rom as me, is yours a Pioneer DVD-115? Oh, DosFreak, i have an H+, it was givin to me by a friend )actually i stole it from him because he owed me $$ and i was pissed off, its almost useless, wasn't i supposed to have gotten a vga/s-video cable with it? without it i can't see any playback on my monitor, anyone help?