Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
moray

CD-RW recommendations?

What CD-RW device would members recommend for use in Win2k. I see that plextor have just released a 16x/10x/40x model- that sounds tempting to me....

Also I get the feel that Nero is the preferred software under Win2k due to stability, however there appear to be some issues judging by the posts on the applications area of this site.

Comment anyone?

I'm gonna have to recommend the combo I'm using.

Only because I use it, find it works great with no errors and as I haven't really used the alternatives I can't really comment smile

Yamaha CRW-2100S 16x/10x/40x SCSI CD-RW.

I am guessing that the IDE version is as good.

Unlike the Plextor model it doesn't use BURNProof technology, however they have implimented their own form of it plus it has an 8MB buffer - You just aren't going to buffer underrun with that.

For software I'm using Easy CD-Creator 4 patched to the latest revision, 4.02e if I remember correctly.

I'm yet to burn a coaster with this combination.

Even when using media verified for 8x and writing on it at 12x/16x.

I think this combination is great, can't really comment on the Plextor as I haven't used it.

Paul

Plextor if you have IDE, Plextor if you have SCSI ... you want NO COASTERS? you can't beat burn-proof ... i have a Plextor 12/10/32 and i haven't coastered a CD since i've had it. its just worth getting a plextor smile

all the above are real nice. just get a name brand /w the same interface as the rest of the system. yamaha and plextor are top of the line.

i have a sony scsi2 using nero. im trying to make coasters, but havent yet.

doing hd benchmarks while burning hd backups or burning cd to cd. burns a little slower but no failures yet. no hits on the benchmarks either. next im gonna try quaking while burning

smile

(all scsi)

Off the shelf the Yamaha is the fastest.

Plextor have announced thier 40/10/16 drive, so if it isn't on the shelves now it wont take them long.

The IDE version had a full page advert in the latest issue of PC Pro here in the UK and we always get hardware after the US guys.

when i installed EZCD4 Deluxe a while ago it would only let me burn at 1x, how do you fix this issue?

I bought a sony spressa 12x burner a couple weeks ago for my burning station and so far have been very happy with it. I have made a few coasters but that is the fault of one of the hard drives in that sys cause it is old and slow i can only burn a 8x off of it.

I've got the TDK 12x, and I've been very happy with it. Spec-wise, it's pretty much identical to the Plextor model: Burn-Proof technology, 12x write, 10x re-write, and 32x read. They also have a 16x version out now - saw it at CompUSA the other day...

If your having trouble burning as fast as your drive specification quotes:

Was this on a CD-RW rather than a CD-R?

CD-R's can be burnt at any speed and totally above specification if you like.

I have quite happily burnt at 8x on a CD-R that was only 2x varified.

However the situation is different on CD-RW's.

Burnt into the 0 track is a small marker which tells the drive/software combination what the maximum write speed for that disk is and in turn wont allow you to write any faster on it.

I believe the settings are:

1x only

1x - 2x only

1x - 4x only

1x - 8x only

1x - The higher speeds

I spoke to the people at Dabs.com and they say that they will be selling the 40x Plextor model in the UK in a couple of weeks or so.....

I am looking to upgrade my CD-RW too and what is this "burn proof" technology you guys are talking about?

[This message has been edited by whoisurdaddy (edited 13 February 2001).]

the burn-proof lets the writer resume a burn after a buffer underrun. It's really nice, bacause you don't have to worry about making coasters, and you can still do stuff on your computer. Once I even started a game of unreal tournament in the middle of a burn, and it still finished fine!

Teac and Ricoh are well known brands with very good access times. Yamaha IDE drives have some sofware problems. Plextor have no major weaknesses but a slow access times.

My Plextor 12/10/32 ran perfect in my old K6-2 system running Win2000. I highly recommend that. Can't get enough of burn-proof. Made about 400 or so cds with not one coaster yet. =)