Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Recomendations on a new Videocard

Ok..really simple:

I'm redoing a computer, and need to replace the current video card. My budget is approximately 100 bucks.

I currently have an ATI AIW128, which doesn't give me good performance in games....but the TV part of it is very important to what I'll be using it for.

So, I'm looking for a video card with a TV-out(can be S-Video or composite), and TV-in(Svideo or composite).

Ideally, I'd like to find a reasonably priced V3 3500, but I can't find any around here, as they've been replaced by V4, V5, or have been discontinued completely because of the 3dfx buyout.

Also, a GeForce would be great(either 256 or 2MX)...SDR/DDR doesn't matter as much, since this will be going on a K6-2 450(@500)....my processor will be my limiting factor...which I'd prefer to my vid card being my limiter....

VIVO is what's necessary....a TV-tuner would be great.

------------------

My PC is warm. I think our fire wall is acting up.

Sounds like you want the Radeon VIVO to me, I think they even do an all in wonder version like the ATI 128 - having never owned anything ATI I don't know about drivers etc. But it looks like you might know about that.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by Damien (edited 08 February 2001).]

The All-In-Blunder series from ATI work well for general and limited video use (I have one based on the Rage Pro) with camcorders and such. I have seen the 3500s at Best Buy still, but you can probably find them online too. As far as a card for the K6, I would just get a GeForce MX.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I second EddiE314's recommendation. You should be able to get an OEM Hercules GeForce 2 MX for around $100. As far as TV in goes, I don't know. A VIVO Radeon would be good too, but it's probably a little costlier, and I don't know how well it works with K6 chips.

You should keep in mind that the GeForce 2 MX chip supports either DDR memory *or* a larger memory bus, so cards come with either one or the other, which can effect performance. (Hercules goes with the wider bus, which gives better performance than using DDR memory.) So not all GeForce 2 MXs are created equal.

I have 256 and I follow the nvidia line of cards....

I'd love to find an MX with video in...I know I can get a guillemot with TV-out which would cover the main part of my needs...

I'll keep looking for a V3 though. It will have better Linux compatibility..

i know the MX outperforms it....but if I can just get 40+ FPS steady, I'd be happy.

this AIW 128 is only giving me about 22 average..

------------------

geforce, geforce

later this year nvidia is coming out with the geforce3 (inside info)

that will make the geforce2 ultra affordable so i wouldnt get more than an mx

I hear you....but I'm going for a Voodoo3.

I'll get the FPS I need, the Linux Support I need, and a price I won't be too angry about.

------------------

It's strange how a weekend of research can change things.

Here's my new predicament:

I've found out that I can buy much better cards if I can sacrifice the TV-out(I can use another one of my cards for that, if I give up gameplay on TVs)

I've found Radeon 32mb DDRs and GeForce2MXs for 90 bucks, , a Voodoo5 5500 for 130,and possibly a GeForce2 GTS for 150...the GTS is a longshot at best.

now my question is this: With these cards, what should I do?

I have a PIII @950mhz that I want to have the best videocard in. (it courrently has a GeForce256DDR) I want the most raw power and FPS I can afford for high resolution and 32bit color.

With the exception of the MX, all the cards listed above would be upgrades to this card.

Which of the cards, Radeon or V5, would be the better choice? (GTS is a given, and if I can afford it, I'll take it).

I'm running W2K on both boxes.

ATI and I don't get along very well due to poor drivers.

3dfx is dead...but I know their V5 is a kick@$$ card.

Is it worth the extra 40 bucks for a V5, or should I stick with a Radeon(or MX)?

------------------

[This message has been edited by INFERNO2000 (edited 12 February 2001).]

The GeForce DDR has similar performance to the GeForce MX, so I wouldn't bother getting it. Both will be bottlenecks compared to your CPU. As far as the Radeon and V5, I would base that on if I had a DVD-ROM. If I did, the Radeon would be a much better choice for the playback ability. If not, I would probably get the V5500 for the FSAA.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I have a DVD, but don't use it enough to be worried about it.

I know the MX would be a step down from the 256 SDR, let alone the DDR.

I'll figure out waht to do in 36 hours.

------------------

I currently have a ATI Radeon 64 VIVO. DVD playback is great. I haven't had the chance to try the TV-OUT/IN. So far it seems like a solid card. The FSAA with the new beta driver is pretty good. The hardware has the capability, it is just a matter of time for them to release a driver that really pushes this feature.

acceptably sweet smile

I got a GTS for 138 + shipping

so my 256 will be going in the K6-2 box.

anyone want a good-as-new used only for a short time ATI AIW128?

I know smile

I just lucked out, sort of.

got it on ebay.

I got outbid on 2 other cards...so I found this one. bid on it, and won it.

However...this morning, I got emails saying the guy that outbid me had retracted his bids, making me the current winner of those items....but I already won this card, so I had to retract the other bids.

That really pi$$es me off.