Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dwinn

Easy Installation Question for Experienced Terminal Users

I've run into the following errors when installing. I looked for the solutions online, but because I am a new linux user I may have overlooked them. Please Help me answer at least one of the following questions.

1. I run into this problem while trying to install a program called GEANT4. There's a problem with the MakeFile. It exists, because I've checked over and over again. However, the terminal denies it. Here is the text:

Starting installation...

./Configure: line 369: cd: /root/geant4/source: No such file or directory

/home/winn/geant4/geant4.5.2/config/scripts

gmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

2. Since the makefile for the previous program is called GNUMakeFile, I decided to download g++ from the GNU website. I have the paid version of RedHat 9.0 so I should already have GNU and the problem never should have come up. Even trying to install the program from GNU, I had difficulty. The text:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/winn/g++/gcc-3.2.3/gcc'

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../libiberty/libiberty.a', needed by `genge

nrtl'. Stop.

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/winn/g++/gcc-3.2.3/gcc'

make: *** [install-gcc] Error 2

Your help is VERY much appreciated. Thank you!

Ok, I think I can shed a little light on question number 1, but I'm not sure at all about question number two.

Code:
./Configure: line 369: cd: /root/geant4/source: No such file or directory/home/winn/geant4/geant4.5.2/config/scriptsgmake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop. 

I'm assuming that you untarred this stuff in /home/winn, but the Configure file thinks it is in /root and looks for it there. This page:

http://www-linux.gsi.de/~charme/hesr/simulation/software/Geant4.5.0_HOWTO.html

talks about having to export some variables and/or edit the Makefile.

I know absolutely nothing about GEANT, so I can be of more specific help. The site I linked to looks daunting and may not fit your exact situation, so someone may have to come along who actually knows about this software to help you. I don't think your problem is that simple, unfortunately.

Thank you you were precisely correct. In the configure I told the program the actual path for the geant installation folder and the installation compiled perfectly. Now i no longer need to worry about installing a second GNU, so both questions are answered!! Thanks again