Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

DVD-Rom read problems - can still read CDs though

OK, borke my CD-Rom a while back, decided to pick up a cheap DVD-Rom to replace it, got the Delta 12x at Circuit City today [cheapest place around here].

Hardware install is fine - master of the second IDE channel, all alone. Reading CDs fine so far. Installed the WinDVD 2000 software, popped in The Matrix. Nothing. WTF? Tried Fight Club. Nothing. Unhappiness ensues. Threw the WinDVD CD back in. Reading fine, can even watch the previews included with the software fine. Tried my DVDs again - a no-go.

I've read the forums about This software not working the best in Win2K all the time, so I grab the PowerDVD trial. Still, nothing. I even tried SoftDVD, which came wih my Stealth III, but it doesn't work in Win2K [D/Ling the supposed fix now].

Now, for the actual question: Is it possible that my drive could read CDs, and still have problems reading DVDs? Should I head back to CC tomorrow?

Open to ideas,

-bZj

Yes it is possible that your drive could read cd's and not dvd's because they generally contain two lasers - one for cd one for dvd. It is possible that the DVD laser isn't calibrated properally or is damaged - i had the problem a while back with my old Creative 2X DVD drive. I suggest that you try taking it back and swap for a replacement.

That's what I think I'm doing tomorow. I got SoftDVD MAX working, but it's the same thing, doesn't read DVDs. I noticed that the tray is a bit loose on one side - after I noticed a nice rattling noise - so I think a replacement is in order.

-bZj

Make sure you install ASPI drivers

On the WinDVD CD root of the disk you should see aspi32.exe or aspi.exe run it something the the WinDVD setup dosen't run it so have to it hard way hehe.

Oh and WinDVD is best for Win2000.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 02 February 2001).]

I had ASPI drivers installed [4.5.7 from my Adaptec 2940 SCSI card], but I went ahead and installed the ones that came with WinDVD [4.6].

Here is the report from aspichk.exe:

Code:
     LOG0143: *****************************************************************     LOG0144: Starting ADAPTECASPI.ASPICHK installer on Fri Feb 02 16:44:09 2001 ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.00.2195) UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 45056 bytes. UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.6.0.1021 UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 5600 bytes. UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll version 4.6.0.1021 UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 25244 bytes. UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.6.0.1021 UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe dated 09/10/1999 12:06:00, 4672 bytes. UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe version 4.6.0.1021 ASPICHK0582: ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 3 host adapters have been detected.     LOG0218: Closing installer log on Fri Feb 02 16:44:09 2001     LOG0219: *****************************************************************

I took it back, but the replacement still doesn't read DVDs. Strangest thing though, I was testing The Matrix, and it started to play sound from the disk, but no picture - the sound was choppy. The newer ASPI drivers didn't help.

This is starting to upset me. Any more ideas? I think I may need to pick up a different brand player.

-bZj

I thought DVD players only had one lazer they just focused at different wavelengths depending on what media they were reading right?

From the sound of it. It appears to be a video issue. Can you provide more detail about your system?

------------------

Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.1 Motherboard

Dual Intel Pentium III 850

512 MEGS of ECC RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB

IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive

Seagate Cheetah X-15 ST318451LW Ultra 160 SCSI Hard Drive

Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card

Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32

Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM

Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

Did you try another manufacturer? I once had a similar problem (either nothing or skipping audio) that I traced back to the cheap DVD drive (BTC 8x). Replacement BTC drives didn't do me any good, but as soon as I swapped the drive out with a Pioneer one, DVD playback worked beautifully.

OK, it's FIXED!

Solution: bought a different brand [Hi-Val 12x, for a whole $10 more, and it came with PowerDVD].

Once again, WinDVD plays sound, but won't show the picture - I just get the WinDVD logo. Whatever, PowerDVD is working the best for me so far. SoftDVD is OK, but I can't disable the stupid 'Parental Guide', so I'm not allowed to watch Fight Club. No problem in PowerDVD though, so I guess that's my new player!

Thanks for all the suggestions,

-bZj