Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hollywood63

Anyone using Xandros

I'm using Redhat right now but I would like to try something a little different. I was thinking about Xandros. Is anyone using this distro and if so what are the good and bad points besides tat its not free.

Thanks

I purchased Xandros 1.0. It worked fine but was not nearly as configurable as I would have liked. However it is an excellent system that works "out of the box". Everything is configured to function. It will not work with the Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and therefore it was useless to me except for office use. I use Mandrake (presently 9.1) for all my work.

I would recommend Xandros for a new Linux user. MS Office will install fine under Crossover Office.

LC

I am using Xandros open release 2.0. You can download the iso using the site from 'Distrowatch.org'. It is a great implementation. It is not easy to configure new applications. The CD burner only burns at 4X and I have not been successful installing K3b, which I like very much.

Running Xandros 2.0 Open Circulation Edition. When I first installed it I had problems installing packages and compiling programs. Then I upgraded all packages to the newest debian unstable packages. This gets rid of xandros file manager and xandros networks but installing synaptic covers you. If you miss them you can re-install them from the cd. Now I have all debian packages available to me and everything compiles without problems. I am extremely happy with Xandros. The only challange I have yet to overcome is to sucessfully install a 2.6.x kernel! I would love some tips on that.

I get much satisfaction running Debian Sid and installing from the bf2.4 iso. I don't know why people are so scared to give Debian a try and instead run all the derivatives of it. Once you have Sid installed you never need to reinstall it's just apt-get heaven. Plus you can learn alot. smile Just my thoughts.

btw, mepis looks to be the best one I've seen.

Hi egorgry,

I think the reason many folks stay away from Debian proper is for the same reasons I do. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I've cut a lot of birthday cakes in my time, and installing Debian is one cake I couldn't cut after about 4 or 5 tries.

The install in archaic and very confusing, especially for new users. It leaves me with the feeling up trying to travel from Dallas to Los Angeles with no road signs!

I may give the Debian install another try some time in the future, but I'm afraid my experiences with it left me frustrated and confused, and as Linux users, we get enough of both as it is! wink

One thing is not in question, and that is Debian is an excellent distro. Right now I just don't see the need to subject myself to its install when Mepis is so easy to install and configure, and you then have all the access to the Debian repositories as if you ran Debian proper.

It is impressive to me that you installed it, obviously without the problems I encountered. I just wish I was sharp enough to figure out how to do a Debian install right. smile

Hi,

I used xandros 1.0 and 2.0. It works beautifully out of the box. Perfect for someone who does not want to mess with any settings. Integrates very well into an existing windows network - that said, I found that it feels slower than any other distro I've used. If you have a robust box and don't want to mess with any settings, then I would recommend xandros wholeheartedly.