Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Z-Man1915

Dual processors, is it worth it?

I am thinking about getting a new computer, and I am considering waiting for AMD's 760mp board so I can run dual Athlons. I am also thinking about a dual PIII setup. What kind of perforamce increase could I expect to see, and what types of applications would benefit the most? I plan to run 2000 on it.

please elaborate on what you will be using the system for. If your just gonna play Mp3s than its kinda overkill. If your gonna run a Quake 3 server off a T3 then its worth it. So what do you plan on doing with the box once you build it. What kind of usage apps, editing, business, or gaming??

The entire OS will benefit from SMP. The major advantage of SMP is your processor not spiking at 100%. Where it would spike at 100% on a single processor it spikes at 50% on an duallie. I wouldn't jump out and get a 760mp when they first release. That will be their first dual board so it's bound to have some problems. If your going to go dual go P3 and then get dual P4/Athlon next christmas.

I want to use the computer for games and simple things primarily, but I also want to start doing more video editing, and I have a tendency to run a lot of applications at the same time. I want something that will last me a while. My current setup is about 1 1/2 years old

Intel 440BX-2

PIII 600 MHZ

512 MB PC 100 ram

Geforce DDR

SCSI 160 HDs

[This message has been edited by Z-Man1915 (edited 26 January 2001).]

If you are going in to video editing then it would be great to have 2 machines, from my own expirience i have come to a conclusion that dual motherboars with alot of multimedia cards on it will not work that great but then again i have only tested via chipset mobos and thats maybe the problem...

my computer aint worth **** with win2k on it, there is so much thing that the os cant keep up with the hardware so my windows crashes alot..... smile

------------------

-------------------------

Dual Pentium 3 600Mhz/133Mhz coppermine

Tyan Tiger 133 (up to date bios)

256 Mb PC133

Guillemot 3D Prophet Geforce 256

Promisse Ultra 100

Hauppauge WinTV PCI (FM)

Creative Dxr3 Mpeg!

Creative SBLive 1024!

3Com Fast Ethernet XL 10/100Mbit card

Aopen 10X/40X DVD

Yamaha 8X/4X/24X burner

Alot of deskstar harddrives!

You could try reading the forums at www.2cpu.com

THere is a lot of info regarding dual processor machines and the hardware/software that works with them, troubleshooting etc. there.

Ed

I heard that playing games (most of the games out there right now) wouldn't benefit from dual processors system because they are not written for it.