Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
halen

Problem with Win2k video driver install

Has anyone else ever had the problem when trying to update Geforce drivers (or any other boards) that at the end of the install it says "An error occured during the installation of the driver,""The system could not find the file specified," and then the driver works until you reboot? Also, the video card shows up in device manager with a yellow exclamation mark, and so does the monitor for that matter. Thanks, DMA

Happened to me a bunch of times. I don't think it's NVIDIA specific since it also happened when I tried to upgrade drivers for a 3Com NIC card. It always seems to occur after applying Service Pack 1. Sucks that the only quick fix is reformatting.

True, it seems that it doesn't just apply to one driver type. I have the feeling that if I wanted to update any of the drivers I would have this issue. Should I make the jump to Whistler Beta 1, or should I just reinstall Win2k? Anyone?

Reformat. Load all the up to date drivers, updates,etc then once you know it's running smooth apply Service Pack 1. I tried and tried to duplicate this without SP1/SP2 installed but it never happens. Guess it might be an issue that cropped up in the SP.

My 2 cents.

i have found an intermittent problem with w2k regarding permissions. wasnt fxed with sp1. microsoft support is working on the problem. this has caused the same problems for me as u are describing.

redo all permissions on your drives/folders.

i have had permissions change so that the top admin login doesnt have ANY permissions to certain folders. i eventually had to steal "ownership" on all hd's and redo user permissions

Ok, I'll give that a try and see what happens. I'll post my results.

Thanks

DMA

Oops, except I realized that all my drives use FAT32 currently, therefore permissions is not the problem.

Well, a reinstall of SP1 and an install of DX8a allowed me to finally update the drivers successfully. I tried using the newest Leadtek drivers that conincide with Nvidias 6.66 reference drivers, but they wouldn't allow me to use the 1152x864 mode so I went to the WHQL 6.62 drivers which work ok.