Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Palos

A7V Promise 100 & W2K Solution...

Okay peoples...once and for all let this problem be solved! I had trouble myself till recently installing W2K on an ATA100 drive hooked up as the single HDD in the system (Thunderbird 700, bla, bla...). The problems will be solved if you follow these steps:

- Put the W2K Promise drivers from the ASUS mobo CD on a floppy.

- Have the immortal boot floppy ready with CD ROM support.

- Boot from floppy...

- Switch to the I386 directory on the W2K cd and run WINNT.EXE

- Go have a coffee or get laid till the transfer is done, and the box will reboot.

- Insert the Promise Driver floppy and select 'Windows 2000....' from the bootmenu

- Press F6 to use a 3rd party driver disk

- From now on just follow the menu...nothing unusual should happen.

=============================================

Notes: I still don't know why, but the drivers from the ASUS and PROMISE websites didn't work on the 'F6' portion of the setup.

Maybe someone will have some time to waste and do some permutations of the variables involved in this setup (with or without the I386 copying, with or without the original ASUS drivers, etc....). Hope this post will help!!

Before I forget smile

Drop by #NTCompatible on UNDERNET if you need to have your questions answered in no time, or just for da hell of it smile

Greetz go to: YuppieScum, Ekstreme, Quazimodo & Fire smile

Well the F6 function worked great for me with my Asus A7V 1.02 1005c Bios. Not even a hesitation, went right in.

Ned