Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

I need some help Please! --Processor WAY to hot and I don't

My buddy, under my supervision, recently bought a new computer. Well, he bought all the parts and assembled it himself... but I was there the whole time to make suggestions as what to buy and how to put it together. Therefore, I can't help but feel responsible for anything that is not going so well... and we've stumbled accross something I can't figure out (rare :))

He bought an ASUS P34X mobo and a P3 Slot1 866/133/1.65 coppermine cpu. All heatsinks and fans are working just fine. The other peripherals are not really important as they have nothing to do with overheating of the processor (i took everything out except the video card and ran it).

Ok i'm just gonna make some sort of list here

fsb mp speed temp

133 6.5 866 220 degrees F

100 6.5 650 180 degrees F

Obviously this is WAY to hot for a processor running at it's own speed and far less. We thought maybe the motherboard was reporting the temperature wrong because at 220 degrees F, we thought that you should be able to feel the heat through the back of the Slot1 Case thingie.. and also on the heatsink, but it doesn't FEEL that hot.. it feels downright normal....

However, the motherboard just doesnt think so.. and gives an error message about an overheating processor. It has also frozen a couple times in the Bios setup, and we had to give the ole restart button a push. We were wondering if this freezing was a result of the processor being so hot, or a preventative feature of the motherboard.

I truly am stumped. If we can't figure it out tonight we are going to call ASUS tomorrow for some suggestions. But first I would like to hear from you guys. Please help.

Are you using the stock HSF assembly from a boxed processor? or did you buy an OEM processor and a second hand HSF. I have noticed a lot of inscrutible companys selling those black cheapo HSF assemblys with OEM processors! I almost killed a 1ghz OEM using one of thier specials! Did it come in official intel box or wrapped in bubble wrap? if the latter its an oem with a cheap fan most likely. If this is the case, discontinue using this machine until you can purchase a suitable HSF. I would suggest a cooler master or an alpha.

If it is a boxed processor you very are not making flat contact to the ceramic on the processor with the HSF! Do some researching on lapping the surface to smooth it out. Or look into using some thermal paste to smooth the contact to the HSF surface. In either case, it is likely NOT reporting an incorrect temp and the HSF is:

A. not operating properly

B. Not a sufficient HSF

C. Not making contact.

There is another possibility as well. Do you have any intake/outake fans on the case other than the power supply. If not, get some.

By the way, I have this info not because I overclock (I DON'T). But because I have been sold some very BAD Heat Sink/ Fan Assemblys one too many times for way too much money.

It was a processor/mobo/fan combo. Mobo and fan came in factory boxes, processor came in bubble wrap. In my opinion, it's a nice HSF, big ole fan, spins at 5000 rpm, and the heatsinks always feel cool... I really don't think the HSF is the problem.

I mean.. i think with a "Good" HSF, perhaps the processor would be cooled to 180 degrees F... still too hot.

Oh, and it's not one of those cheapo black heatsinks that you're talking about. Its steel (or metal... never really knew the difference). Well anyways... I'll keep it in mind.

Any other opinions?

Here's another little tid-bit.

As soon as he turns his computer on, the reading is 200 degrees...

Now there is no way that in 2 seconds the processor can go from cool, to 200 degrees. I'm gonna update the bios... see if that helps.

If you're using the ASUS Probe software, that's your problem. That is rarely correct on my friend's P3V4X. It shows similar spikes in temperature, and was causing problems with "overheats". Uninstall that POS, and use MBM, it's a lot more accurate.

Otherwise, I got nothing.

-bZj

Ok, the Asus Probe shows very nice temperatures... well within acceptable limits.

The Bios shows horrible temperatures... the ones described earlier.

There's so many things goin on... it still overheats (whether it really is or the software is just SAYING it is) when it's very underclocked. I'm really stumped. I don't know what to do for the guy..

Got a good thermal paste? The stuff that comes with the HSF usually sucks.

Oh and btw, the HSF *should* be a little warm, since that would indicate good heat transfer from the CPU to the HSF.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 17 January 2001).]

Ok,... here are some things we've tried.

I took his processor and put it in my MOBO... no problems with temperature here... none whatsoever.

However, I ALSO tried his RAM at the same time. Not even all of his RAM registered on my MOBO. Also, his pc133 RAM wouldnt really run at 133, but ran fine at 112. Could there be some corolation between bad RAM and the motherboard's reporting of cpu temp?

--I SERIOUSLY doubt this... but by process of elimination this is all I can come up with. We've tried so many swaps... cpu/memory etc... all different combos... everything works fine on my PC except for his RAM--which had a few glitches (mentioned above).

I really don't think the cpu is truly overheating because at the same speeds, my mobo was reporting very good temperatures. I just don't get it.

I think I figured out the problem

We ordered Athlon RAM.

**smacks forehead**

I hope you have sorted out your problem, but I would like to add this in regards to overheating CPUs...

A cool/cold HSF is possibly a warning that the CPU and HSF are not 'bonded' together correctly. Think about it, where does the HSF get its heat? FROM THE CPU!

So if your HSF is cool/cold, either:

A) you have a cool/cold CPU = GOOD, or

B) you have a CPU on the point of meltdown = VERY BAD!

Never trust a HSF just because it looks good and/or its big. Check that it ACTUALLY works!

Greggy

Thanks all...

The RAM was the problem.

I loaned him some of mine until he gets the right stuff and everything is running perfectly. He is able to run his processor at 730mhz with my RAM and the temperature is hovering at a nice 100 degrees... half of what it did with the Athlon RAM.

Dumb mistake, but at least I learned something.

That may not have been the problem after all.

He's now experiencing problems with my RAM and the processor overheating (at least being reported as such).

Question about the heatsink..

Theres a grey pad on the bottom of it. Should the processor (or that little blue thingie on the processor) be pressed against the steel.. or the pad? Or does that pad possibly come off to give us some goo?

it should touch the pad, i, however, advise that you use thermal grease between the hsf and the cpu.

Another update:

I did a search on Google.com and found that tons of other people are having the same problems with the P3V4X mobo. They are all getting reading that are WAY to high. Something about the thermal diode.

Looking back, the only time the computer has frozen up is when we had the bad RAM in there, or some of the CPU temp monitoring software was running. When I disabled that and ran Quake 3 timedemos over and over... no problems whatsoever.

Hard to believe that ASUS would produce something with a defect... but it's true. If ya don't believe me, go to www.google.com and type in "p3v4x temperature reading"... you get a ton of hits.

Scrape that crappy thermal tape off. I had it on my Dual CPU system and it would crach all the time. Scrape it off with a Razor, wash it, LET IT DRY apply a thin layer of thermal paste (get some good paste) and slap the HSF back on. I did this and it dropped my temps about 15 - 20 degrees F.

that thermal tape was MY problem . It may be a combination of the Tape and a bad thermal sensor.

Good Luck, Sparkhard

I'm not sure what you mean by Athlon Ram -there is no difference in the SDRAM used for a Pentium or an Athlon. All you need to do is ensure that you're buying the right spec ram for the speed of your FSB.

Now, have you checked what voltage that motherboard is pumping into the processor? There may be a problem with one of the voltage regulators on his motherboard. If it works fine with yours then I would begin to suspect that this is the case or that you haven't set the jumpers correctly (if the board doesn't auto configure). Also check processor settings under the bios.

You say that you think it could be the motherboard reporting the wrong temperature, however if the machine is crashing on the bios screen, then you are more than likely suffering from an overheating problem.

I would take that motherboard out and get it replaced as soon as possible, if it is pumping too many volts into the chip, it won't last very long!!!

It froze in the Bios back when we had the Athlon RAM in it.

With my RAM in it, we can run QUake timedemos all day long with no problems. With my RAM in his machine... we have had NO problems whatsoever with freezing or the like.

I also tried his ram in my PC... it wouldnt even register the full 256megs.. but only 130.

Also, I've been doing more and more reading up on this motherboard, and I am finding MANY places that say the P3V4X reports false cpu temperatures, and this is supposed to be fixed in a bios update coming soon.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips115/

If somebody checks this out.. please lemme know what ya think.

i too got confusing temp readings with my asus board (p2b). i bought one of those ir remote thermometers (just aim and press the button) so i could check real temps and hot spots in the unit. since i have a secc processor i had to take the temp of the heatsink at the point where it contacts the cpu.

i found the cpu temp dead on but the other temps are way off. i run "mother board monitor" for several weeks now and the cpu bios, program, and actual temps are right on. the other temps i have no idea what it thinks it's doing. the only hot chips on my board are the adaptec scsi chips idling at 112 and up to 130 under load.

i have a piii 700 oc'ed to 800. with factory hsf it idled at 100 and went to 130 under load. i installed a monster alpha heatsink now it idles at 80 and has yet to reach body temp (93 max) after an hour of quake.

here are some heat tips from an avid oc'er...

1. never use tape, most creams are ok. of course u get what u pay for

2. make sure both surfaces are clean (of fingerprints too). i use nitril powderless surgical gloves when i work on stuff like that... antistatic and clean.

3. make sure the screws are putting enough pressure on the cpu (very important) the thermal compound should squeeze out around the cpu just a little. dont use too much compound it's just there to take up the little spaces and imperfections of the interface. usually less than .005 of an inch.

4. take the actual temps if installing a hsf, the metal just opposite the cpu will give u a good reading.

5. make sure you have pleanty of airspace around the hsf so it can work.

but i would suggest if u build your own 'puter that u take actual temp readings of all the chips inside the box, both at idle and under load... it's good piece of mind.