Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Another choice, I think I asked this once already

Ok, I have a choice, both of these cards are free to me..

RivaTNT 16 MB PCI or

Voodoo 3 3000 16 MB AGP

now, Voodoo 3 has good performance, but the fact that it has a max texture limit of 256x256, whereas the RivaTNT has 2048x2048!!!!

I mean, that's a big gap between the two numbers...

which should I go for? Voodoo 3 or RivaTNT.

The reason why I've reasked this is because of the recent 3Dfx/Nvidia issue.

Thanks

i have both of those cards, i found myself using the tnt because of the better driver support and the ability to do far more with it, also the texture crap too.

Voodoo 3 all the way

the drivers for it now are top class

the colours are usually alot better then nvidias (no im startin an argument between geforce etc) and if u are worried about drivers there are multiple sites that offer custom drivers, (even ex 3dfx employes)

go with the voodoo run a time demo in q2 or q3 using the tnt then the voodoo, the voodoo will smoke it....also you can oc that card quite easily and gain another 20% increase in speed.plus your gonna be able to run Glide and thats a plus

I say go with the TNT since the Voodoo3 doesn't support 32-bit color. Even if you can't see the difference now (I personally can really tell the difference, but some people can't), games will eventually require 32-bit color support.

gow ith voodoo3 ONLY because of str8 performance. Someone said the colors are better I belive that to be incorrect. The TNT is based on the same core as all the new nvidia cards, and it's 32 bit image/color quality is unsurpassed let alone paralleled by any 3dfx card.

To be honest Iv never used a v3 but I did use a voodoo banshee, monster 1 and a monster 2, and their colors were no where close to the tnt1 that I upgraded to back then.

Maybe I shouldnt be claiming the tnt colors to be better, but if the v3 is the same core as the older voodoos then it cannot be better.

The TNT colors were better in Quake-based games, and textures were a lot clearer than the V2/V3 series (wasn't the V3 affected by the same texture size limit as the V2?). However, the V3 is a faster card in 16bit, and I really don't see most people running anything on the TNT in 32bit with it being so slow anyway. I would have to say the V3 is better. Plus, it should smoke in UT using Glide.

e

I just read jdulmage's post on texture size, so it does have the same lame limit. In addition, the V1, V2, and V3 series chips always yielded an overly-blended appearance in games.

/e

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 16 January 2001).]

what i was refering to (i own a voodoo 3)

what i have noticed on my pc and others is that voodoo 3's seem to have deeper , brighter colours

i agree the tnt does have a larger pallet of colours but they seem dull

besides runnin a tnt in 32 bit colour is like runnin a voodoo 4 in fsaa it has the feature to do it but no the balls