Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
miku

New Compuer Recommendation

Hi,

I need your help.

I am going to buy a new system. I already have a PIII 450 with a Asus V7100 Geforce MX 32 MB.

I am considering the following:

Athlon 1GHz

Asus A7V

Geforce 2 MX (16 MB)

30 GB Maxtor ATA 100 (7200 RPM)

256 MB SDRAM

I will move the 32 MB Card to the new one and the 16MB to the old one.

Now I have the following questions?

1. Is AMD good? I have built three AMD systems for my friends with Asus A7V. There are problems as I have seen. Too many fixes to apply to get Windows 2000 to work.

2. How much difference is between the acceleration of Geforce MX 32 and 16 MB card. Is Voodoo 3 3000 better than the 16 MB card? Would it provide a better acceleartion?

3.I noticed that as soon as I install SP1 on the above system (my friend's), the computer doesn't boot, giving the error, INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE?It has something to do with the HD. Does the latest bios by Asus fixes the problems?

4. If Geforce MX 16MB is better than V3 3000, is there a cheaper version, other than to buy from Asus?

I hope to see a reply soon.

ARC

1. Amd is good, i recommend that you buy a thunderbird 1 ghz, not the old athlon. The fixes for win2k are in microsoft website.

2.The difference will not be much, but, of course, 32 mb is better than 16. The two cards are much betters that the voodoo 3.

3. After the installation of sp1, there is another patch in the microsoft website that gives win2k the compatibility to ata100, that isn't included in sp1, it will be included in sp2.

4. i recommend you that buy the card from asus, because has a good support.

Bye

Thanks Maximus,

Well, one little thing, as soon as we install SP1, the window crashes and there is no way to get back into windows, so how can we manage to install that other patch. Secondly, I dont think Microsoft has made that patch public, where can it be found.

By the way, I love Gladiator!.

ARC

AMD is by far the better way to go. Iwas afraid to make the change from Pentium to AMD, but after alot of reading I decided to go for it, and I'm very glad I did.I have the 1Ghz socket A thunderbird and the ASUS A7V. this system screams.I'm using the ATI Radeon 64MB DDR(awesome card)voodoo is junk by todays standards.

First, to get back the system control, you can change in the bios the access to the disk, in integrated peropherals menu, enter an put your hd in pio mode 4, then restart and win2k i think will boot.

Then you enter to windowsupdate, and the update will appear to download,i think.

If this doesn't work, try to change the ide cable for an old one, that support only uata33.

By the way, What we do in life, ecos in eternity

Bye