PC 133 on PC 100 motherboard?

Does anybody know if it is possible to use

PC 133 RAM on an mboard supporting only

PC 100?

Maybe in that case the RAM just't

wouldn't run at its full potential, w/o

any incompatibility issues?

Thanks!

It will run fine. The speed listing is just a rating. It refers to the timing capability of the chips used. You wont be using the DIMM to its max, but it should work great. If you do overclock your PC FSB, then the memory should have a good deal of headroom to go.

I bought dirt cheap (new) 256MB pc133 stick yesterday, when I put it in my althon, with the original pc100 128MB, the pc at bios post would count the first 128MB fast, slowdown for the next 128MB, then speed up again for the last 128Mb. Then when I tried to boot up win2k it continually crashed BSOD. Then after a while a stop error appeared and said my mobo was ACPI incompatible!. With winme, the pc would boot up. As soon as I pressed enter to logon the PC would either reset, or a wininet.dll error appeared and explorer died. Beos would work fine for a few minuites then reset.

I tried the 256MB by its self, but it didn't count the memory properly, different every time. Tried mixing the order, no go. frown

On a good note though it is working perfectly in my brothers dell PC. So he can play with 384MB until I take it back.

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

Radeon 64Mb DDR (oem and proud of it)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW/CD, 4,6,4,24)

Segate SS330630A 30Gb 7200 ATA4

LS120

Paying for good Memory now saves you paying for data corruption and system loss later, what you pay for makes a big difference in memory.

Ned