Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Qun Mang

Via BM driver 580_3011 affects CD writer software.

I downloaded and installed the Via busmaster driver from http://www.soltek.com.tw/downloads/drivers/580_3011.exe to get one of my Maxtor drives to work in UDMA mode (the other already worked fine). Well, it fixed that problem, but first time I tried to create a CD with Nero, I found the new driver caused it to fail. At the moment it would try to write to the CD, an error would be generated. I tried the latest version of Nero to no avail. Uninstalling the new driver fixed the problem, but now the one drive is back in PIO mode. Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

Pertinent specs:

- FIC VA-503+ mobo with Via MVP3 chipset.

- K6-III/450

- Two Maxtor hard drives on the primary bus, one UDMA/66 (operating just fine in UDMA mode 2) and one UDMA/33, the one that won't run in UDMA mode without the 580_3011 driver.

- Plextor Plexwriter 8x4x32 as secondary master

- Pioneer DVD-114 drive as secondary slave

- Win 2000 Professional

Yes those "BETA" drivers are not compatible with many of the burners out there. If your burner does not support DMA....guess what remove the drivers and put in the old ones or you will be out of luck for burning anything.(Don't feel bad same thing happened to me, I did end up using the APG drivers though...)

Actually the Plexwriter does support DMA. It's even required to dependably write at 8X. For whatever reason, though, the driver just isn't compatible, like you said. I am back to the old driver, as a slower drive is better than a non-working one.

Removing bus mastering drivers and reverting 4 in 1 drivers to 4.24 fixed my problem with Plextor.

Hi there.

Yea, I have a Creative 121032 CDRW and I'm sure it supports DMA but it just stopped writing to CD's after installing the VIA 3.11 BM driver.

This Via driver did help my DVD's play a lot smoother under 2000 tho...which was my main reason for installing it.

So I just uninstalled the VIA driver and now I have the regular BM driver installed and the CD drives are again in PIO mode and the CDRW works again...

But my DVD's are choppier now... frown

Any ideas of a way around this?

Is it simply the case that the 3.11 VIA BM driver will stop our CDRW's from burning?!?

Does anyone have any more info on this or are we just gonna have to wait for VIA to correct this in a future revision of the BM driver?!?

Cheers for any help!

Fozz.

what about only installing the new drivers for one of the ide channels? could this be done? if so with a bit of rearranging you would be able to enjoy the benefits of a better driver for some of your drives while still keeping the cdrw working. just a thought.

Maybe this helps you. I found if i uncheck in bios detect cdrom drives, cd drives work only in PIO4 BUT if the bios detect cdrom, DMA (UDMA) mode work ok.

Abit KT7, Abit BH6 ... this worked for me

Some CDROMS/DVDS are DMA/33 so if you set your CDROM to PIO4 then your HD will transfer at PIO4 if on the same chain.

DO NOT use the VIA Busmaster drivers. Use default Windows 2000 drivers. They work just fine.

DosFreak..yea, I've uninstalled the VIA BM driver and am now using the default 2000 driver but that is not as good with DVD's as the VIA driver.

I have an Asus K7V-750Mhz with a TNT2U card and I'd love to have the VIA driver installed for its DVD performance and still be able to burn CDR's!

Maybe a future revision of the VIA driver will offer a fix for this?

Lets hope so.

Any other suggestions?

My Pioneer 16x works fine with my DXR3 with standard Windows 2000 drivers on my dual P3700 on my VP6. I did have to enable DMA tho. Installing the VIA drivers REALLY messed up my DVD and CDR.

DosFreak...yea, but you have a hardware decoder card there!

Here, am I right in thinking that the problem with writing CDs is that the VIA driver enables DMA on the channel?

If so, should I be able to install the VIA driver (so enabling DMA on the DVD drive) and then disable DMA on the CDRW dive?

Would that work?

Thing is that I cannot see where in the VIA DMA tol program it will allow me to set the Mode for the CDRW's secondary IDE channel?

Any ideas?

------------------

Asus K7V - Athlon 750 (not o/c'd), 256Mb PC100, CL TNT2U, SBLive.