Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HawkBoy

I have to boot twice everytime I start my pc!

Everytime I turn on my pc (not reset), it freezes right before the login screen (it actually shows my background, but doesn't do anything else). When I restart, it works flawlessly!

Please help me, and keep in mind I'm not a newbie. Thnx.

System Specs:

AMD Athlon 550

128MB SD ram

30 GB UDMA 66 Maxtor Hard-drive

Viper 770

Cable Internet

3COM Etherlink controller

Hiya,

What make of motherboard are you using?

I have an ASUS CUSL2 (OK, so it's not an Athalon system) but occasionally I see a similar problem.

Motherboard BIOS upgrade helped me out on this one.

I have the same ****.. If I leave my computer off for more then 12 hours (doesn't happed 2 often smile ) then on the boot the system would freez right before showing the desktop. If i hit the reset then the 2nd boot always loads fine. And all the consequtive restarts would be fine as long as I don't power the system down for another 12 hours.

I have an MSI mb.

And this happens everytime (even after turning the pc off for 2 mins!)

Hi, which vid card and drivers have you got? I have a TNT2 and all the det3 have done this aside from ver 6.49

Chris

That's an interesting reply, but i think it has something to do with the operating system.

My machine had the 12 hour syndrome needing two reboots. Do you use any USB devices? Changingh mine round so that the mouse (MS Laser thingie) was connected to the PC and not the monitor cured it, no probs since.

AMD k6III 450

256K RAM

TNT2 Ultra, severely overclocked

TMC TV15+ Mobo

DVD + Hollywood plus board

I thought this "cold reboot"-syndrome would be mainboard/bios specific. I have an ABIT BP6 with a PIII 800, which needs a "cold reboot", too. It freezes right before it shows the Bios screen.

Hmm, well this is NOT a common occurence. I have installed 2000 on P200's/Dell P3450's/K6's/and Dual Proc computers. ALL with good power supplys. Something's wrong with your systems. It's not a 2000 prob.

My friend had a similar problem to Hawkboy's on 2 different systems. It seems to have stopped with no known reason.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I'd ran into this problem a few times, once from old bios, once from bad video card, once from almost marginal hard drive spin up time... all of which worked properly when I increased the boot up delay time except for the one that required a bios_update.

[This message has been edited by nam ng (edited 09 January 2001).]