Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JMD

Hard drives

Hello

I was wondering what the life span of these 10,000 and 15,000 rpm hard drives are, compared to the 5400 and 7200 hard drives.

Im looking for a bit of speed but want reliability.Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Thanks

Considering that u'll be running win2k, it'd be wrong to buy anything lower than 5400. this is due to the fact that unless u have 500MB of ram, u'll need a page file (although i think u'd need a page drive then too). With a slower hard-drive, ur system will slow down like hell! trust me i know!

IDE drives (5400 and 7200) have normally a 3 year warranty.

SCSI drives (10K and 15K) come with a 5 year warranty and are mainly targeted at servers.

This alone should point to a better reliability for those 10K and (only one) 15K drives and they're built for 24/7 usage.

I doubt I would still use the 4 year old IDE HDD that was in my old PC, 1.2GB, hahaha (I thought it was plenty 4 years ago). I had a few gig IDE Quantum Bigfoot die on me after less then 2 years.

My Cheetah 9LP (10K SCSI) is still running fine, and so is my 7200 IBM SCSI drive and my system runs 24/7 and I hope my new Cheetah X15 will last me for a many years.

SCSI delivers better speed and reliability but also cost a lot more.

IDE drives have comparable sustained transfer rates (but slower access times) and work just fine for most people. You'll also get a lot more storagespace for the same price.