Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pikey

To Stripe, Or Not To Stripe...

Hello all

I have two 30GB IBM Deskstars running under Win2000. Currently i have a 4GB system partition on a simple volume and a 54GB spanned volume under dynamic disk management.

I am reasonably happy with this setup but i am wondering about the performance benefits of striping the disks. I have experimented with this setup but never got beyond formatting. This always leaves me with an identical 4GB drive at the tailend of the second disk (as striped volumes only use exactly the same amount of space over two or more disks, yes?) but thats fine as i can use that extra space as a dedicated page file.

However, as i understand it a two disk stripe writes everything in duplicate? So really you only end up with half the total disk space?

Thats basically my question. Does the performance benefit justify the "halving" of available disk space? I don't think i'm going to use up 50GB disk space in the near future and i do a lot of work in disk intensive CAD applications, so is striping worth considering for the performance gain?

Cheers in anticipation

Pikey