Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

USB DSL Modem and Linksys Router??

I'm going to be getting Bellsouth DSL and they are shipping me a USB modem. Can I use a linksys router so the other computers on my Lan will be able to go online or is there another way to hook them all up so they can use the DSL line?

Thanks,

The linksys DSL router is great!!! If you use ICS it will effect your machines performance when others access through you!!

The DSL router is the way to go!!!!

Ned

I don't understand how that will work. With having a USB modem you are taking out of the picture the cat 5 cable are you not? If I'm correct all the traffic goes through USB and not the old way. Please explain how my USB modem and a linksys router will work?

Thanks,

I checked that out, and it seems like that USB port is used more for management rather than as a network access point. This looks as if it is similar to the serial port on other routers, which allow for management/access, but wont allow for a "true" connection for network traffic. It does state that you can connect a PC to it, and it will allow for network traffic through it, but it may require the use of drivers to be installed on the PC for proper use (and the modem wont have any idea what it is trying to do). Might want to email Linksys to see if that is a real option.

------------------

Regards,

clutch