Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tourettes

Setting different DMA mode in Windows 2000

Does anyone know how to change DMA mode between 0-2 in Windows 2000? My bios doesn't allow to change them, only enable / disable.

Iäm having strange freezes with Plextor 8/4/32 ide drive with DMA mode on. So mayby DMA mode 0 would work, just a guess.

DO NOT! I REPEAT DONT SET DMA ANYTHING FOR CD RECORDERS!!!!! Go into your device manager and go to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section go to the primart or seconday ide channel(whichever your recoder is on) and set the recoder for pio only, you won't have any more probelms after that.....

Widow: This depends on the CD burner. I'm pretty sure that Plextor recommends that DMA is enabled. I know that my Mitsumi drive (don't laugh, it was cheap) works much better with DMA on.

Also, the lockups may be caused by the CD-RW drive being on the same channel as another IDE drive. The best advice for a CD-RW owner is to put the drive on its own channel as master, which will help prevent coasters and strange lockups. If you don't have a free channel, then get a PCI IDE controller card and put the CD-RW on that. (As an added bonus, if you get a HPT370-based card, then its BIOS lets you set DMA mode. Don't know about the Promise ones, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't.)

That said, if you have a motherboard with a Via chipset, you can get the new Windows 2000 compatible IDE drivers (link anybody?) which come with a tool to let you set the DMA mode.

Your reply is appreciated GHackmann and that may well be the case.....I have owned and worked on at least a dozen different types of burners(includeing Plextor) and I have yet to see one reliably work with DMA turned on. Just my experience....though most of my experience is limited to via chipsets which could have something to do with it...in any case turning off dma on that particular port will have no adverse affects and should alleviate the problem......regards....

I have to se DMA enabled and that's because I have only one cd-rom drive and I don't want my drive to hog nearly 100% cpu time when reading a disk.

But I think I have found sollution.

I have KT7-RAID and I used 106MHz FSB (8.5 multiplier) IDE was 33MHz but that matters for Plextor. Now I have 100 FSB (9.0x) and 33MHz IDE and my Plextor seems to work alright. 10 succesful test burns with those settings.

------------------

---- Parasoul ----

http://rasta.cult.tpu.fi/~parasoul/