Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ParaDoX

FAT to NTFS - insufficient memory

I'm running Win2k from a 30,7gb HD. I've succesfully converted it to NTFS once before, but for some stupid reason I converted it back to FAT32 with PM6 a little while ago.

Now I want to convert it NTFS again, using "convert d: /fs:ntfs /v" from the cmd, and rebooting. But when I reboot it says Insufficient memory (three times), and continues to load windows. I have 192mb ram, and 7,5gb of free space on the hd, and I have the exact same system as first time I converted it to NTFS.

Is there anyway I can fix this?

just read now that its a bug with win2k that you can't change a drive to ntfs from fat32 if its bigger than 20 gigs. Fixed in SP2 though laugh

Ok, guess I'll have to wait for SP2 then, better then deleting the TOC =]

It did convert it with Win2k the last time, strange bug =]

That's weird, I did it on a 30GB drive in my Dell XPS B733r at work.

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Just tried to re-install Win2k. After the setup had checked the partition it said something like "The partition is corrupt and cannot be fixed".

Quote:
Originally posted by ThC 129:
just read now that its a bug with win2k that you can't change a drive to ntfs from fat32 if its bigger than 20 gigs. Fixed in SP2 though laugh

It worked fine on my 30-gig.

------------------
"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

well i just go by what the fix list for SP2 had. I don't know since i don't have any drives that big and always format my drives NTFS

Only problem I have is formating 30gig drive

alway's get a error at end of format hehe,

I must make the drive 32bit fat then tell it to convert to NTFS.

I ran into this with a four-year-old Dell Inspiron that I was trying to upgrade. It was a royal nuisance because, until I was able to fix it, every time I booted it, it went into convert and crashed. SP2 may have fixed this for some people, but SP4 -- which supposedly incorporates SP2 -- didn't work for me.

what I ended up doing was using Partition Magic 8 (apparently 7 would also have worked) to split the 40G drive into two 20G drives, telling NT to convert the filesystem on the primary partition, then going back into PM and telling it to attach the remaining unallocated space. Bingo, 40G NTFS partition, but neither quick, cheap -- PM was $70 as a download -- nor intuitive. YMMV.