Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

BSOD w/ TNT2U oc'ed more than a few MHz

hello, well last night i changed the HSF on my tnt2u because the default fan quit working. i put a socket7 HSF off my old k6 on there in place of it. i spread thermal compound on it and put super glue on the 4 corners of the chip to attach the heatsink.

the back of the card, above the core, seems cooler than it was w/ the default heatsink, so that's why i dont think this was heat related. also i didn't see any artifacts or color changes before it froze.

anyway here is the BSOD i get:

STOP: 0x00000041(0x00001000, 0x0000041B, 0x0000BE6, 0x00000000) also that B might be a 13, i can't read my own writing.

MUST_SUCCEED_POOL_EMPTY

i get this on the 64 meg texture test in 3d mark if i overclock the card more than a few MHz. the default setting is 150/183. at 155/190 it runs fine. but at 155/195 it crashes, though i used to be able to oc the memory to 200 fine w/ no crash.

here's my system:

thunderbird 800 on Asus A7V(latest bios)

diamond viper v770 ultra(detonator 5.30, fastest for me)

sb live! value

netgear 10/100 nic

lucent winmodem

128 megs pc-100 cas2 ram

13 gig UDMA33 WD hard drive, 7 gig win2k, the rest 98 though 98 isn't running correctly, haven't got around to reformatting it

hmmm... thats about all i can think of. thanks in advance. smile

You need more RAM. You need a minimum of 256. What is your AGP aperture set at? Windows 2000 is more picky on overclockers. Some have total sucess while others don't. I hope you are updated to SP1 smile

------------------

Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard

Dual Intel Pentium III 850

512 MEGS of ECC RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB

IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive

Seagate Cheetah X-15 ST318451LW Ultra 160 SCSI Hard Drive

Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card

Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32

Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM

Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

i changed my ram to pc133 cas3 yesterday btw.

anyway, i need more ram just to overclock my video card? grrr... might as well just buy a new freakin vid card then. hehe...

i have SP1 and DX8 btw. this happened before and after i updated to DX8. but when i was overclocking my card w/ default heatsink i didn't have SP1, and i didnt get that crash. frown

When was the last time you totally re-formatted your computer and re-installed everything? I ask cause I notice you have ALL kinds of problems with your computer when you run 3d games. Like your numerous problems with Unreal and stuff. Sometimes its easier (and faster) to just redo your entire system, than to troubleshoot a problem that could take days to find.

j

PC133 CAS3 + Athlon + overclocked nVidia card = Bad Things. Get CAS2 RAM if you're going to overclock.

Also, if the built-in fan died while your computer was running, your TNT2 chip may have been partially damaged by the heat, so you may have permenantly lost your ability to overclock. Try the card in another computer and see if it works.

the CAS rating of the system ram only comes into play when overclocking the system bus.... it shouldn't have any effect if he's only overclocking the video.

I would check how you've got that new HSF attached... did you maybe get superglue on the mem chips?

hehe. o yea. i fixed my UT problems. don't know how. it might have been DX8 or my last bios update. but i played for about an hour today in Direct 3d and it didnt crash. smile

hmmm... last time i reformatted my computer was in april or may. so 6 or 7 months? at that time i was running on a K6-3-450. hehehe... maybe i should reformat. i'm getting some more cds tomorow so i'll be able to backup my stuff first.

this ram is actually PC-100 CAS2, but right now it's running at PC133 in either 3-3-2 or 2-3-3. can't remember which.

it did this in PC100 CAS2 and PC133 how i have it.

i made sure not to let the HS touch anything else but the chip. it hangs over a couple of the ram chips just a bit, but it doesnt touch them.

i was trying to put off reformatting because i'll probably be getting a 30 gig seagate ata100 drive. i was going to put 2k on that one, and 98 on this one since i'll just use 98 for emulators and such.

i supose i could try my card in another computer i have. i dunno if it will fit though with this heatsink on it. it needs 2 free slots below it.

anyway, thanks for the help.

could overclocking my memory before to 210 have damaged it so that it won't overclock as far anymore?

I have seen reports that overclocking both the core and memory on display cards (in particular high performance VGA cards like nvidia's) does indeed lead to:

a) the card no longer operates properly (or at all) at its default core/mem speeds.

B) the card can no longer hits the previous overclocked levels that were enjoyed when the card was new.

c) damage to the card (in particular the memory) can occur after long periods of being overclocked. An example is little coloured dots on the screen when playing a 3D intensive game etc.

After reading about this (some time ago) I decided to leave my WinFast GeForce2 GTS at its defaults - 200MHz core and 333MHz memory, which is still VERY fast.

Many will say they have never had a problem, and they probably never will, but I wouldn't like to fry my GeForce2 GTS just to gain maybe 1-2fps in a 3D game. Q3A demo001 at 81fps running 1024x768x32bit with everying turned up high is quite acceptable for me... however some will still say this is pathetically slow, and not enough for them.

Greggy

hmmm... well my card still does fine at it's default, just not faster. i'll try oc'ing again after i reformat. if it still does it, i guess i must've just hurt the card.

While I am a big proponent of re-formatting. I personally do it a 3 times a year or so, and that is if everything is relatively stable. Changing the board and CPU (from your old K63 to an Athlon) is a pretty big deal. All the old drivers from the k63 had to be replaced with the newer ones. Truthfully, not too many installations will survive a board swap. I would suggest it if your overall system stability is poor. It probably wont help your OC issue with your video card. I could never OC my TNT2 very well. It could be damaged.

Good luck

i supose i prolly should reformat. hehehe... i just figured it might be ok since my old board had a VIA chipset too. o well. now i just gotta get some cds...