Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DeadCats

Cable Modems, Network & Win2K

Cable company just called, cable modems are being installed. We have Wednesday afternoon next week.

I explained to the guy what we want, and he tells me it would end up a lot cheaper if we supplied some of the "parts" instead renting them from RoadRunner.

What we have is a 2-computer peer-to-peer network. Mine is running Win2K, the other one Win98SE. It's been explained to me that what we need is (going upstream) two Ethernet NICs for my PC, an Ethernet NIC for my wife's PC, a hub, and a cable modem? Is this right, is this how it should work?

And is this in addition to the one-NIC each we currently have for the peer-2-peer network?

Can anyone point out a good website for understanding what we need to buy?

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

I just got roadrunner, and they gave me a 3Com modem. I have a server and 2 workstations, and they are all linked thru my newly purchased Linksys router. They are cheap (this one was $169--$149 after rebate--at Best Buy) and work fairly well. This one has a built-in 4-port switch, but there are units with just the link in that are about $40 cheaper or so. Took about 5-10min to setup, and it was done. My ddns client (TZO) works fine, as do my mail, web, and ftp ports. Plus, I can host a game of Q3.

If both of your machines are already connected on a LAN, then the router is the easiest. Otherwise, you can use ICS or some other proxy and install that on a machine with 2 NICs. If you just have them connected with a crossover cable, then just get a router with a built-in hub/switch and save some more cash.

BTW, I am not a fan of proxy software or using a PC as a router, in case you haven't noticed...

wink

------------------

Regards,

clutch

I've just had cable installed, and am running ICS on one NIC and the CM on the other.

I haven't actually checked to see if the ICS is working on the second PC yet, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. It was fine with the 56K dial up.

My OS's are the same as yours (Win2k with 2NICs and CM, Win98SE 1NIC).

Easy Cheese!

1. You purchase two ip addresses.

2. Cable modem plugs into "uplinkport" on hub/switch.

3.You and your wife are plugged into regular ports on hub/switch.

4. Manually configure TCP/IP for NIC cards and specify IP address and so-on, for both computers.

5. Enjoy your cable service!

I would suspect that it isn't that easy. Most ISPs are not likely to give out static IP addresses.

You're likely to have to use DHCP in order to obtain an IP address for the Cable Modem. If this is the case, then plugging into a hub isn't going to work. You're going to need a router, or you're going to have to fit to NICs in one machine.

The important part of FKTOAST's message was the:

"You purchase two ip addresses"

Most ISP's will quite happily sell you statis IP addresses, they wont just hand them out if you ask for one.

I wish I had taken up an offer from a local ISP about 4 years ago - £20 for a static IP address to take with you and do with what you like.

I know he said purchase.

I still don't think you'll find many ISPs nowadays that are prepared to give/sell static IP addresses.

And whilst I'm here, it turns out that my ICS no longer works frown

I've posted the full details in the Network forumn, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.ntcompatible.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000268.html

Clutch was right as usual. I'm using the same type of setup with a native Win2000 domain network, ADSL and the 4 port Linksys dsl/cable router.

In my case i use a dhcp server that i configured to my network. in your case simply plug the network cable from the cable modem into the Wan port on the router. ***ign the nic's on your computer's to be automatically ***igned ip addresses.

use a browser to enter the configuration utility in the router (default address is 192.168.1.1) and configure your router settings. the router acts as a dhcp server for your network. i think this is enabled by default.

don't bother setting up one of your computers as a router. it will get more complicated than you probably want it to.

I have roadrunner and it uses DHCP so you need to plug the Cable Modem Into Uplink to Hub and your Computers into Hub as well.. Just set both Machines to use DHCP unless roadrunner tells you different....then they will determine IP address on boot....should be ***igned by Modem ..and usually is static tho ***iged dynamically

Morelight: wink

To all: RoadRunner will be more than glad to hand out extra IPs (up to 3 I think), but they are NOT static. Now, by NOT, I don't mean that they are not ***igned but you seemed to keep the same one anyway due to extended leases ***ignments and renews. I mean NOT as in you get a HUGE change in IP (like from 24.94.13.5 to 24.94.26.110). Fortunately, I have a DDNS client to keep this straight. Just get the cheapie router and you will be A LOT happier. If you have a hub already, just get the one port unit and connect to your uplink from it. Not to mention, it uses NAT, which is a half-a$$ firewall anyway so you wont need to install/configure another firewall package.

------------------

Regards,

clutch