Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chthon

DMA not working in Win2K /w MVP3 Chipset

I've had a hell of a time trying to get DMA to work on my hard drive in Windows 2000. I know for sure that both the mobo and the hard drive support it, as my BIOS Information Screen registers Primary Master as using UDMA. Device Manager is set to use DMA if available, yet it is always set to PIO Mode. I have a CD-ROM drive on the same cable... that might be causing the problem.

If anyone can help me... then PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT! I'm sick of these 3mb/sec transfers... frown

I did... I even disconnected every single piece of hardware attached to the IDE bus except my hard drive. The BIOS still reports it as being mode "UDMA 2", which is UDMA/33. Are there any known issues with DMA support and the MVP3 chipset? Or do I just need a special driver for Windows 2000?

I've got the exact same problem, except the cdrom is on the other channnel. As its been a while since I messed with MVP3's, is it just me or has the Via busmaster for Win2k gone missing from the 4-in-1? The Bios says its UDMA2, but win2k says PIO.

some of the other threads look promising though.

I'm using an MVP3 Lex mainboard BN566 at the mo.

My point exactly! Even with the hard drive as the only thing on the channel, BIOS says UDMA2, Win2K says PIO.

And you're right about the 4-in-1. The VIA Busmaster driver isn't available for Windows 2000. When I downloaded it separately, and ran it, it said that "This driver is not designed for Windows 2000" or something along those lines.

I've read the other threads... most of the people's problems are solved by simply modifying a regstry key, removing some hardware, etc. Those things didn't work for me. I think it's because I'm using the MVP3 and not many people have those anymore.

i used to have an mvp3, and i never did get udma working in 2k... i tried about everything, but i couldnt get it. i think got an Asus A7V(kt133) a tbird 800 and it worked fine w/o even reformatting. hehe

Well then... I guess I'm screwed aren't I?

Thanks any way man. Now it's time to get a new mobo smile