Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  

What is a Cisco router?

I used to thing that a router was a router was a router.

But there seems to be something special about "Cisco (sp?)" routers. What is it?

Whats a Cisco router have that a normal router doesn't? What does it do?

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

256MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

http://sandoval.dynip.com

Cisco is the Internet. Cisco is the company that produces most of the hardware that interconnects all of the computers in the world. A Cisco router is just like any other router except that it is made by Cisco and you can be sure that it is of higher quality than any other.

Also, Cisco overtook Microsoft as the most highly valued company. Not sure if that situation is still true, but I think it is.

Cisco products are very good, and if you (or your company) are looking to buy, you can get good discounts from resellers, so push hard for them.

My company is a charity, and we got about 60% discount!!

hehe

no, no - A "Cisco router" is a guy with a t-shirt that says 'Cisco' on it standing in the middle of the freeway directing truck traffic. smile

BTW - Not only are you in the wrong forum to post such questions, but you are also in the wrong site. There are plenty of Cisco sites out there. But, then again, a little comic relief never hurt anyone. hehe

So, is the guy in the 7UP commercials a "7UP Router" when he has the soda machine on the freeway? And if so, was that a major packet collision with the semi or what?

:P

------------------

Regards,

clutch

[This message has been edited by clutch (edited 24 November 2000).]

Here is the definition from whatis.com

On the Internet, a router is a device or, in some cases, software in a computer, that determines the next network point to which a packet should be forwarded toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and decides which way to send each information packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. A router is located at any gateway (where one network meets another), including each Internet point-of-presence. A router is often included as part of a network switch.

A router may create or maintain a table of the available routes and their conditions and use this information along with distance and cost algorithms to determine the best route for a given packet. Typically, a packet may travel through a number of network points with routers before arriving at its destination. Routing is a function associated with the Network layer (layer 3) in the standard model of network programming, the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. A layer-3 switch is a switch that can perform routing functions.

An edge router is a router that interfaces with an asynchronous transfer mode (ATM) network. A brouter is a network bridge combined with a router.

So when a company brags to me that they have 10,000 Cisco routers, all they are telling me is that they have 10,000 routers that are manufactured by Cisco Systems.

That's it? Hmmmm. Thats neat... I thought that perhaps they performed some incredible function or something. But they are just plain routers!

They make kick-ass, expensive equipment. That's about it. Oh, and you can make some bank with their certifications too...

------------------

Regards,

clutch

To sum it up: Cisco routers are what make the internet work. Most other routers...well, they just pretend to.

I currently am working in a lab here at my college where we have 10 of these routers, for our networking class. It's sorta a test venture by Cisco, and I think it's awesome.

I've done some work with them, and they rock. Easy to setup, and they just plain rock. Hope this clears up some confusion.

Info on a CISCO router!

There are PC routers and there are hardware routers. The difference is that yes a PC is like your home PC that runs router software but a harware router is a piece of harware that can be the size of a HUB or Switch or can be as big as your PC and even bigger.

It has many functions on a network. You general home user function would be this:

You have one DSL line, one cable modem, or one high speed internet access and you have multiple computers on a LAN or local area network. When you purchase one of these internet connections you usually get one IP address unless you specify more but usually just one. If you only have one IP address then only one computer can use that IP to get on the internet unless you use a router. What you would do is give the router the one IP address that the high speed internet service provider gave you and make it the gateway of the network. Gateway is basically what is means "the gateway to the internet" so to speak. A router can use DHCP which assigns IP address to everyone that is on the network so if TCP/IP (which is the protocol used to communicate on a Microsoft network) is configured so that the router is the gateway and the DHCP server and you tell TCP/IP to obtain an IP address automatically then the router will hand out IP address to all computers on the network and give them access to the internet using the one IP address the ISP gave you.

Now for the backbone or corporate side of the world a router, in simple terms, is a crossroad on the internet and depending on where you want to go the router will find the quickest way possible to get you there using its constantly updated routing tables.

I hope this helps. For more info or a better explanation, email me at fktoast@directlink.net

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

A Cisco router is a highly vulnerable system submittable to DOS-attacks in the ways of very long p***words which make them reset the master p***word for the admin account to admin. So Cisco routers are machines I 0wn :))

Cisco issued us with patches for that.. You don't 0w|\| me wink...

It was a major flaw though..

Regards

Kristian Dorey AMIAP CNA CWD

[This message has been edited by krisdorey (edited 07 December 2000).]