Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BDW_OX

Adaptec EZ CD 4 Ate my Cdrom drive!

I am using a tekram DC-390U3W scsi controler with a plextor 40x scsi cdrom, a plextor 12x scsi CDRW, and a Toshiba 5x scsi

DVD, and a Quantum Atlas V 13.6g drive on it. Everything was fine until i decided to unistal adaptec ezcd creator 4 from my system. Afterwards Win2k did something funny with the ASPI or its interface with the scsi controler. Because all three of my CDrom drives are inaccesable through Win2k as drives. They can still be detected by software like PlexTools, CDR-Win, disc-juggler; but not by Nero or my reinstall of Adaptec EZ-CD 4. I don't want to have to reformat but i cannot get the drives to detect no matter what i do. If anybody knows how to fix this beyond a reformat it would be most helpful.

Try removing the CDROMS from device manager and also reinstall the scsi driver. Windows 2000 should reinstall the aspi files. If that doesnt do it, run a repair on 2000 by booting with the boot disks and choosing the repair option when you get to disk 4.

Frank

i found out what was wrong from http://www.cdrinfo.com apparently when you unistall adaptec under win2k it leave certain registry keys that prevent windows from reseting to its own cdrom.sys cdrom driver. Luckily they told me how to fix it under there cdr&win2k article.

No, no!

The problem is caused by Media Player 7. You must remove the CD Writer component in the setup, then your drives will come back just fine.

A non-drastic solution:

Remove the 'LowerFilters' and 'UpperFilters' values from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Cl***\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}