Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jabbathewocket

New System time.. AMD or INTEL?

Ok folks I know this is gonna be hard.. but I have flip flopped from amd to intel back and forth over the years trying to get best bang for least bucks smile

Which do you all recommend for a new system which needs to meet 2 criteria

first criteria is 100% reliability in windows 2000

second is forward looking design (I tend to build systems and keep them kicking for ages)

thanks in advance for any help you all can offer!

oh god.....

you know what? that's it, i'm throwing my arms up on this one...

Let the FLAMES begin!!

see ya

I'll say Intel for the compatibility with 2K

forward looking design?

Either. they'll both be replaced within a year.

the P4 will go Northbrook(?) within a few months...

and the Athlons will give way to the Hammers...

Either one will be fine for your needs...

As biased as I am..GO Intel... You have to go by your standards then INTEL is really only way to go...Even tho i have a Thunderbird and it kicks ass in Win2000...you'll have less problems going P3..now if your a pretty good system builder and don't mind flashing a few bios's and testing drivers out then bang for your buck go with AMD. Tho INtel is safer bet for stability with Win200

My pennies:

I've heard of minor problems with AMD and Win2K, but they seem to be easly overcome, so I'll probably go Thunderbird when I upgrade my PIII500E [give it a few more months].

The current P4s being shipped will outdo themselves in less than a year, how's that for forward looking design? wink

-bZj

i'd go w/ AMD. you shouldn't have any problems w/ AMD or VIA w/ a good KT133 board. if i were you i would probably wait for a DDR board to come out tho. i think they'll be out pretty soon...

Intel probably has the best reliability / stability under win2000, however if you build a decent tbird box with a good motherboard, keep drivers updated and generally know what your doing, a tbird box is going to be stable as well. Tbird's are pretty much on par with P3 performance, but are a bit cheaper.. if your having to buy a new motherboard, case, power supply and all of that, you could weigh up costs and see which system costs more.. either one will be sufficiant I believe when setup properly.

As far as lastability, both chips and motherboards will be replaced with next generation stuff, buying a machine now will not be very upgradable within some months down the track.