Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
FreiDOg

Changing IRQs

I've got all my suff automatically set to IRQ 9 by win 2k (Geforce 2 GTS agp, a3d sound card 56k modem and 10/100 network card)

I want to change my Graphics card back to IRQ 11, like i had in 98 but even when i'm logged on as adminstrator the option to use manual settings is ghosted. How do i go about changing the IRQ, if even possible?

Ok..

Unless you are having an IRQ conflict, like a piece of hardware is not working then there is no reason to change any IRQ, I don't belive there is a way to change an IRQ even if you where having one.

W2K set's it's own IRQ settings when installing a piece of hardware. It's quite nice considering you would have all kinds of problems with IRQ conflicts under w9x... So just leave things as they are and you will be fine.

you can change the IRQs if your system is set to standard PC not ACPI PC. If its set to ACPI then you can't, if its on Standard you can. HOWEVER, unless you know that that piece of hardware will work on the IRQ you want to put it on then do it otherwise leave it alone becuase you can FUBAR your whole system.

ok, you know the next dumb question. How do i disable acpi, because it is causing a problem with my graphics card.

[never mind just found out i have to reinstall windows to do it. I'll just wait another monthand do it when i have time. Thanks for your help]

[This message has been edited by FreiDOg (edited 18 November 2000).]

You sure it's actually causing an IRQ conflict? Even though all your PCI devices report as being on either IRQ 9 or 11 (mine report on 11), they are actually on different IRQs and windows is dynamically reassigning them as needed. Win2k is surprisingly good at that sort of thing, so I don't have to worry about juggling IRQs manually anymore!

The Golden rule needs to be applied here. If it ain't broke,

Dont fix it!

As for changing IRQs, dont worry about it. Windows 2000 was designed to use ACPI which throws all devices on the PCI bus onto a logical IRQ. This IRQ is number 9. IRQ 9 is considered logical because its the gateway for IRQs 11-15. This is why you will find most of your devices on irq 11 or so and that ACPI for IRQ steering on IRQ 9. You really dont want to mess with this. PLEASE DONT MESS WITH THIS. But like one of the other guys said you can turn off ACPI in your bios and you will use IRQ holder for PCI steering which will spread them out but you will see a major decrease in performance for like I said earlier, Windows 2000 was made to use ACPI so use it.

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

There is not a difference in performance in ACPI or Standard. Both are the same performancewise unless your mobo does not support ACPI properly. If it does not then your system will perform improperly with ACPI.