Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Restoring a corrupt Hard drive partition table

Hello people,

While upgrading my system the other day (including a reinstallation of Windows 2000) somehow the partition table on my secondary hard drive got corrupted (a Quntum Atlas II ultra Scsi 7,200 rpm disk). All windows sees now is the entire space of the drive as unformatted/unpartitioned media. I know the information is still there because I used the program BPR to scan the drive.

Unfortunately while this program can restore my hard drive to its former glory, I have to register it first - some $80 which is a little steep (especially as I am a money stricken student).

Does anyone know of a freeware program that would be able to do the same job, it needs to support Win 2000 filesystem (NTFS) and be capable of rebuilding file and partition components.

Cheers guys,

Damien.

You can download ONTRACK to try to recover the partition table but I doubt that it will recover everything. I hope there wasnt a lot of important data on there.

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

Cheers for the help guys - there isn't anything on there that is mission critical, it's just that I'd rather try and get the stuff back (saves time etc.) I'll try ontrack. I don't think Windows 2000 comes with Fdisk, I'll try it though.

Assuming you're not running NTFS, just boot from a Win98 disk, and type what jdulmage said. Chances are that'll fix you right up. laugh

------------------

"Being married to a programmer is like owning a cat. You talk to it but you're never really sure it hears you, much less comprehends what you say." -DeadCats, 1999

For all the coolest shareware products for Windows 2000, I go to www.informit.com and click on downloads for 2000. There are tons of cool shareware programs to try that may help you in a lot of areas of computer management and fix-it ultilities. Hope this helps if ONTRACK doesnt work.

------------------

Frank

A+, MCP Windows 98 and NT Certified

Cheers - i'll take a look. I was using ontrack, but as you know the damn thing needs regestering before it will do anything useful & I am running NTFS so win98 won't help!!!