Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
digitizedsoul

USB for NT 4

Is it possible to have USB Support in NT 4? I'm looking for an upgrade PCI card you put in PC's without usb. And it has to support nt 4 because well thast what i'm running.

I'm getting 2-way sattelite internet and the Sat modem is external and USB only. And my server doesn't have usb so i have to put in an addin card. Does anyone know of any addin cards that support NT 4?

As far as I know NT doesn't support USB or will it ever support USB. Upgrade to Win2k. The compatibility will be much better than NT.

On a side note, I was able to get my Razor Boomslang 2000 USB mouse to work under WinNT, but NO middle mouse button / wheel and no extra features that make this mouse awesome. I have since moved on to Win2K and everything is good. ; )

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

I love NT 4 though i can't really use win2k on this machine. Its kinda old. Thats why it doesn't have USB to begin with. Everytime i've tried win2k i've gotten some form of trouble. Whether it be STOP INACCESABLE BOOT DEVICE after i install sp1. Or something else to make it difficult. Plus i HATE active directory.

but anyway... there is NO usb addin card that has specialized hal drivers for nt 4?

You don't have to use Active Directory.

If your talking about a workstation, ie moving to Windows 2000 Professional then you wont be using Active Directory.

If this is a server product, then again your not forced to use Active Directory.

Saying that, Active Directory is great, I'm just in the process of moving my work over from an NT4 SBS to a Win2000 Active Directory network, I love it.

But anyway, you are in no way forced to use Active Directory at all.

hey, u talkin about starband right? i got that beta as well. but i couldnt get it to work on win2k. it would work every 3 or 400th time i installed it until i restarted, then it would quit working. i put it on my 98 box, and it works fine so far. i haven't networked them though. i know theres gotta be a way to do it w/o the usb, cuz it's got a cat5 port on the back of it. havent figured it out yet thoguh...