Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sixtyniner

Motherboard options

Ok guys its been a week and my damn geforce2 is still crashing my system every few minutes. I finally decided to just buy a second system for the geforce. I have decided to get a p3 700 with motherboard. My problem has been in deciding which motherboard to get. Every review I have read seems to have something negative to say about each board. My question is which board should I look for. I don't need SCSI support or anyhting built in like audio or anything. I just need a good stable mobo for the geforce that supports my current pc100 ram until I can save up the cash for some pc133 ram. Thanks for your help as always guys.

------------------

There is something bad about all boards.

I'd recommend my setup, no probs

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

Radeon 64Mb DDR (oem and proud of it)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW/CD, 4,6,4,24)

Segate SS330630A 30Gb 7200 ATA4

LS120

I've got the Aopen AX6BC Pro Gold board for my p3 700, and it works great.... pretty much anything based on the bx chipset will suit your needs though

No Problems so far smile

------------------

Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard

Dual Intel Pentium III 850

512 MEGS of ECC RAM

Sound Blaster Live!

Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card

GeForce 2 GTS 64MB

IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive

Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive

Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)

Roland Sound Canvis SC-55

3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card

Plextor Plexwriter 12/4/32

Pioneer 10X DVD-ROM

Sony GDM-F500R Monitor

I am running ASUS CUBX/E and ist works great! Overclocking is supreme, performance is excellent - a LOT faster than 815 boards I tested before (AOPEN, ASUS and Abit). Extremely stable, 2 x UDMA100 (Promise) and 2 x UDMA33 on board. Just take care you get the "/E" - version!!! On the CUBX w/o "/E" the onboard controller was crap.

Best board I ever had (and a lot of my customers are very satisfied with it, too).

Have fun

Llion

[This message has been edited by Llion (edited 12 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Llion (edited 12 November 2000).]

Everything is working flawlessly here. Didn't have a single problem with my GeForce 2 Card. Just needed to get latest drivers and now life is much better now! wink

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

Thank you for all your opinions guys. Just a couple last questions. Do any of the bx based boards support 4x agp. I know that at this point its pretty useless to have, but i'm loking for future performance as well? Next, can someone reccomend a good reputable site online to buy from that has good prices? Lastly for donald2b, do you have any compatibility problems with your SB live or your Geforce2 at all? I currently have a dual p2 400 and would like to build another smp system but was worried about compatibility problems with the p3 700 after all the crap i've put up with on my system. My SB live always locks the system so I took it out. I got the geforce2 which also locks the system all the time so its out too.....talk about a pain in the neck smile

------------------

Sixtyniner,

Actually, my system has been the most rock solid system that I have ever used. I am currently using the 6.34 nVidia drivers for my GF2 and I am using Liveware 3 for my SB Live!. When I first put it together I was using a TNT2 M64 video card because I was waiting for the GeForce 2 cards. I am dual booting with Win2K/Win98SE. I have run Linux, BeOS, and WinME successfully with no problems.

This has been a dream system to work with and has been up and running almost non-stop for about 5 months now with no problems.

Unfortunately there are no BX based boards that I know of that support AGP4x. I believe this is a limitation of the chipset. I wanted stability over anything else since I do a lot of computer animation and render times tend to go multiple days.

Hope this helps!

~Donald2B

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM