Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ronin

AMD

I was thinking of giving the Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz a try but wanted to know what motherboard I should purchase. I have heard about all the problems and don't fell like dealing with them so if all you AMD lovers out there could help me out it would great.

I currently have a Geforce 2 card and a SB live 5.1 so I'm hoping not to have any problems when trying the new system out.

Thanks for your help.

The general consensus among hardware review boards say the Asus A7V(Pro). I'd reccomend either that one, or the Abit KT7 RAID(depending on your needs)

Either one uses the VIA chipset, so you may still run into problems, though MS released a patch that may help.

Or you could wait for the 760 and go dual 1.2Ghz Thunderbirds smile

You might be wiating a while for dual AMD CPUs:

Quote:
From SharkyExtreme.com

We're still missing multi-processor systems. Sometime in 2001 we should be seeing boxes with dual Athlon CPUs. We'll reserve our thoughts on heat and power consumption for now and just keep our fingers crossed for the 760MP (multi processing) chipset to land in San Jose sometime soon.

-bZj

I don't know why I am so curious about the Amd cpu. I already have a Dual 850 box that is working just fine for me now. I guess the whole idea of having a 1 gig box is the reason.

Think I'll just wait till a dual AMD chipset is available and give it a try then.

My system specs are below.

------------------

My Windows 2000 System:

Dual Intel 850's

Tyan Thunder 2400 MB

Onboard Intel 82559 NIC

512 Megs Ram

Adaptec 39160 Ultra 160

2 - 18 Gig Cheetah - U160

1 - 18 Gig Cheetah U2W

1 - Maxtor 60 Gig (IDE)

SB Live Platinum 5.1

Plextor 12/4/32 - Burner

Plextor 40x UW CD-Rom

10x Sony DVD Drive

Hercules Geforce 2 64meg

Dual V2 Cards, for D2

Viewsonic PF815 22" Monitor

My Linux System:

PIII 733

Asus P3C4X MB

256 Megs PC133 Mem

Adaptec U2W Scsi Card

1 - 9 Gig Cheetah 10K

48x IDE CD-Rom

CL Geforce DDR

ESS 1371 Sound Card

I am using a MSI K7T Pro motherboard, 1 Gig Socket A AMD TBird, and Win2K Pro with no problems at all. My system is extremly stable under Win2K with the MSI mobo. I used to run a dual boot of Win98/2000, but found that 2000 actually works better with my mobo and CPU. I am also using all SCSI RAID in the system with no problems either. I have a Asus GeForce card and a SB Live Platinum in the system with no problems at all. Everything works perfectly under 2000. All of my games and software fine too. You should try a MSI K7T mobe, or wait for the new AMD 760 chipset which should be available in a couple of weeks. Good Luck with you new system.

------------------

MSI K7T Pro,1000 Mhz TBird,Adapt29160

2- Cheatah 18XL,256mb MicronPC133,Asus V6600Deluxe, Plex 12/4/32,Plex 40X UltraPlexWide,Pioneer16X DVD,Zip250,Holly+,SB Live Plat,Win TV-D,FullTower w/9 fans & 2HD coolers.