Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyKillerMan

Intel ? or AMD

I was gonna upgrade my cpu pretty soon here and ive been running a P3 - 500 with 128 megs of PC100 ram. I ahve a tnt2u and a sblive. Now here my question. WOuld it be best to but another stick of ram and upgrade the processor (its a asus p2b-f) to 800mhz?

Or get all new stuff for 133 fsb?

and if so amd or intel....i havent been in the cpu stuff and i was wondering if you ppl could just let me know first hand? thanx

PS i run 2k adv server

you might not like this recomendation, and I might get flamed for it..but here goes.

I had your same basic setup.

PIII 500 with 128 RAM.

I built the K7V /Athlon 750 system, ran Win2kAdvSer with a GeForce, and had it crash all the time. It wasn't a matter of poor setup, I had to reformat several times...and none of my setups yielded me a stable PC.

I rebuilt...this time with Intel

asus cusl2 with 800eb (oc to 954)

unparalleled performance in Windows 2000 Advanced Server(And I've got a guy running an AMD in the gigahertz range to compare myself to)..

Couple that combo with some Mushkin REV 2 PC133 RAM, and you will have one of the best performing systems available.

AMD may give you better results in some apps, and run faster in others, etc...but you'll end up with a VIA chipset..which can either work or not work. Since you have an SBLIVE and an NVidia based card...it's a risk you need to be aware of.

If you have the money, go with the intel systems(i815e based motherboard), but if you're on a budget, want a lot of fast stuff at a decent price, and have patience to track down bugs and reboot from bluescreens(if your luck is as good as mine), go with AMD.

2k is an intel OS, if you ask me.

Windows 2000 is an Intel OS. It was built around the Intel processor. Support for AMD was an afterthought. And even then, it is a bit sketchy.

Microsoft and AMD are currently working to improve support. But I'm not sure how far they'll get.

No way, Win 2000 works just as well on an AMD chip, I don't know why you guys had so much trouble, but as long as you choose a good branded motherboard (Abit KA7) or something from Asus etc. Then you should have no problems, just ensure that you have the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers installed. Athlon chips are far cheeper than their intel equivants - you can get an Athlon 1.2GHz for $490 - compare that to $670 for a Pentium III 1Ghz and you can see what I mean! Check out Sharkey Extreme if you don't believe me!

I have an Athlon 800 with Abit KA7 - no problems at all under Win 2000 - everything stable and very fast.

I tried all the new drivers, and even the old drivers...and my Asus K7V just kept crashing.

It is unfortunate that a person pays hundreds more for fewer mhz with Intel...

But sometimes, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do, right?

Yeah, inferno, I suppose u're right....

So what about buying a 300 Watt Power Supply, (instead of the common 250, AMD just needs it), and upgrading all bioses and drivers?

Just came out a patch for win2k and AMD processors....try it.

hmmm... i only have like 230W power supply and mine runs fine, though i don't have any extra cooling. i do plan to get a bigger one, once i decide to put some more fans in it though. power supply is alot less money than an intel chip though.

if i was you i would go with AMD. they clearly have faster chips, and they're cheaper. if your competant enough to install an OS on it, it should run fine. i've had 4 AMDs thus far. a 486 DX4-100, a K6 III-450, and a thunderbird 800. and i also have a second system with a K6 2-500 in it. with my older K6 i had to take out all the cards cept video during the win2k install, or else it would hang, but after i installed it, it was pretty solid. my athlon never crashes except in UT, which i think is because i need to reinstall UT. other than that, all my games run fine.

i would have rather had a Celery than my K6, becuase they gave better performance, but i think Athlon gives best for your money now.

300W Powersupply and 5 fans. It kept my Intel at 80some degrees, and my Athlon at around 90some.

Athlons just run hotter.

If you go with 3dfx or (god help us)ATI or something NOT nvidia based, you'll have more luck with AMD and Win2k than I did. I'm not sure about the AMD Win2k patch, as unless it came out between the end of July and the end of August, I never installed it.

Intel tends to be "safer" but you pay more for that "luxury".

Either way, you're going to be happy. If you get a Cyrix though, I will hunt you down.

But I want a cyrix...just to play with and be able to laugh at the jokes..oh well.

Purchased by?

VIA!

Let's see.

Via Apollo Pro

Via KX 133

Via KT 133

Via Cyrix

Do we see a pattern here?

All of these perform sub-standardly in comparison to intel variants(Ok..the KX and KT are Athlon only...so ignore those), or tend to be problematic with current hardware(such as the nVidia cards)

Well..........(deep breath)...........AMD Athlon is a great way to go.(period)

My home system Athlon 750 FIC SD11 256 Meg Kingston Ram on Win2k. Work PIII 800 on an Intel board 128 Ram(Generic) By far th AMB system runs smoother and is capable of multi-tasking many more programs in comparison to the Intel system. Network activites run glitch free and smooth. Rendering and graphical designing well better. U have the ever hated FIC SD11 motherboard as well. No problems or issues, just smiles.

Athlon 750

FIC SD11 NC611 Bios

256 Meg Kingston Cas2

Radeon 32 Meg DDR

SB Live! X-Gamer

Netgear FA310TX

Westtell ADSL Modem

Netgear 10/100 16 Port hub

Western Digital 13.5 ATA66

Fujitsu 10.5 ATA 66 (5400)

Creative DVD 6x

HP CD Burner 9320i

Mustek 600 Plus Scanner

Epson 860 Printer

Connectix Quick Cam

UPS 500 Backups

They used too..it was well documented on tomshardware, and other places as well..

If you get a GeForce working with an Athlon, you've got a kickass system.

If you get a GeForce working with a PIII(much easier), you've got a kickass system.

Don't by into the hype. Just buy what you feel like buying. AMD, intel..it's all x86

wanna hear something funny? My Compaq ran Windows 2000 perfectly. not a single problem with it(even found the modem drivers without a problem).

I also had no problems at all installing Win 2000 Pro on a Compaq PII 266 Workstation when I had to blow away a sick NT4 volume. That same machine is still running perfectly nearly 6 months later!

However Compaq SOHO PC's still SUCK-ASS!

Greggy

sapiens26,

I am so sick and tired of your dogmatic, obnoxious opinion, and your persistance in putting other people down. Well let me tell you something, tell your sister *THANKS* for letting me **** her.

buy a errmmm a Pentium 1. Yeah thats it. IMO Intel will forever be playing catch-up even once the p4 gets released because nobody in their right mind is going to pay for RDRAM because its expensive and sucks. So go AMD because they are cheap, and can be overclocked like a sunnuva*****.

Recalled the 820

Recalled the 1.13ghz PII

Recalled the use of RDRAM exclusively

ya know what? I think this has been their best recall yet :P

yOU KNOW WHAT LED I DONT HAVE A SISTER...BUT i'LL TELL MY BROHTER WHAT YOU SAID..

fag

www.yourmom.com

FEWL

Favorite Quote

"Stop daddy that HURTS!!"....LED