Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shaggy27

restart computer by itself

has anyone had problems with win2k restarting the computer for no reason. just sitting there and it restarts the computer.

ya i had that problem. I think it has something to do with errors, usually it writes ram to disk, then reboots, but you can turn off that option, so there would be no warning just a reboot

yes once during a game session! but i think it just got unstable and just restarted- it happened with 9x for me too

------------------

2 Computers (networked)both have :

Intel SE440BX2

Pentium III 700Mhz (100)

LS-120 120 Mb (100MHz)

Fujitsu 17.3 GB Ultra DMA 66/10.2 GB Ultra DMA 66

Mitsubihi 50X IDE

Creative Vibra PCI 128bit

Matrox Millenium G400 16Mb AGP/Diamond Speedstar 8Mb AGP

Bay Netgear 10/100PCI

Medium ATX Tower case

120W Multimedia

MS INternet KB (PS2)

MS Win2000 Pro

I think old versions of McAfee can cause the computer to reboot like you describe!

If you have it, either uninstall it or go to their website to see what the Minumum Version is for Win2000....I think it's 5 or higher. But I may be wrong.

If you don't have McAfee..then I'm all outta ideas!

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but anyway, here goes... 2K used to restart on me quite a bit at random times - usually with a kernal exception. After installing Detonator drivers, the problem got worse and the exceptions were now in the graphics drivers. I eventually came to the conclusion that some devices weren't fully compatible with my motherboard (GA-5AX) and that was the cause. However, after reading an article recently about random errors/reboots being caused by faulty/underpowered PSUs, I've since had no problems (I updraged to a 400w PSU from my old 230w one.).

Hope that helps !