Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
[Orbital]

why does my gfx card work in tnt2?!!?!?

ARGH I got the topic misspelled.. it should be:

Why does my gfx card not work in win2k

ops.. my bad laugh

hello..

I have a Creative TNT2 ULTRA and it wont work in win2k pro.

i get that the resources are in use by the agp controller.. but the tnt2 card is agp.. i really dunno how to explain this in sense.. and i have screenshots.. but nowhere to put them..

i hope you cinda understand what im talking about.. when i get some webspace i'll put up those screens and hope that they make some more sense than my blabbering..

thanx in advance..

i also get just get 640x480, 16 colors

and 800x600, 16 colors

and in displayproperties it just sais that it is a vga card..

I have a:

p2 266

128mb ram

Creative TNT2 ULTRA

asus p2b motherboard

awe 32

20 gig hd

and so on..

[This message has been edited by [Orbital] (edited 24 October 2000).]

I have a diamond tnt2 Ultra and win 2k adv ser pk 1 and it works fine...do you ahve new deatantor drivers from nvidia?

Heh....almsot forgot...for some reason windows update was installing older drivers for some alladin agp stuff...so i had 2 working drivers...is that happening with you?Make sure that 2k is USING the correct drivers, bc in my case, i installed one, and there were magiclly 2.

[This message has been edited by CrazyKillerMan (edited 24 October 2000).]

hmm.. here is a copy and paste from my memory dump in computer management:

0x8000000-0xFFFEFFFF PCI bus OK

0xE0000000-0xE1EFFFFF Intel 82443BX Pentium® II Processor to AGP Controller OK

0xE0000000-0xE1EFFFFF NVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra OK

0xE1F00000-0xE3FFFFFF Intel 82443BX Pentium® II Processor to AGP Controller OK

0xE4000000-0xE7FFFFFF Intel 82443BX Pentium® II Processor to AGP Controller OK

0xE2000000-0xE3FFFFFF NVidia Riva TNT2 Ultra OK

0xDF800000-0xDF800FFF Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI Controller OK

0xDF000000-0xDF0000FF Realtek RTL8139(A)-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter OK

as u can see in the bold there is a conflict there.. but there is nowhere where I can change this.. any ideas?

hmm.. think I only hva one driver installed.. where can I check this? (how many drivers I have installed (sounds jerky) or where..)

I also get in the tnt2 ultra properties that the device cannot start.. I have the newest detonator drivers installed..

Why does it have to be a conflict? Perhaps this is what links the AGP (nae PCI) controller and the TNT2 together. After all that is what DMA is. Direct memory access. One device puts stuff up in a space, the other copies it and vice versa, hey presto data communication. If it just so happens that the devices are miscomfigured due to a driver problem or f£^%up then thats life!

What I'm trying to say is don't bother yourself with the small things like IRQ or memory conflicts. In this day and age you can't edit the addresses etc. You can really only change the drivers and install patches. This is what you should do. So you should first get the latest (stable) reference drivers from www.nvidia.com, and also get the latest AGP/motherboard drivers. The memory spaces are configured as such because your card is in VGA mode. When the drivers start working, all that would change as the system allocated the resouces it requires, all that MTRR stuff. At the moment there is in effect a temporary link connected the TNT2 and the AGP bus.

What you should think about is instead does the tnt2 have any IRQs available for it, is the bios set to allocate one, and is ACPI enabled. Perhaps you motherboard is not ACPI compliant. Make sure the TNT2 is not sharing an IRQ by removing (just for this now) the upper most PCI card (slot1) as these two spaces are hard wired to share an IRQ. Al lot of older motherboards require a bios update to fully support ACPI, check this. If this is the case then some nvidia drivers work/some don't. It is a lottery. When I had my mvp3 motherboard and TNT1 it was a nightmare until about after 6 bios updates. After that the system would work straight out of the box.

Do you ever get a blank screen where the monitor appears functional, yet is black?

Are there any messages in the event viewer?

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

Radeon 64Mb DDR (oem and proud of it)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW/CD, 4,6,4,24)

Segate SS330630A 30Gb 7200 ATA4

LS120

hmm.. I have d/l'ed the latest bios update for my mb. but I cand get the update utility to work? I'm using aflash.exe btw..

I get an message that sais: "ERROR: This program cannot run under protected mode"

how do I turn off protected mode? and/or is there another utility I can use to update my bios? (The motherboard it ASUS p2b) i d/l'ed BX2I1012.AWD (the newest biosupdate) and aflas.exe (the updtate utility) any ideas?

alrighty then.. how the F... laugh do I boot DOS in win2k?

btw: DAMN! That was a fast reply.. thanks smile

There are two things you can try.

The first is make a boot disk from a Windows 9x machine and use that. On the 9x machine, either format a new disk and select 'Transfer System Files' (I think that's how it is labelled), or if the disk is already formatted, drop to the Command Prompt and type 'sys a: <Return>' After a bit of whirring you'll get the message 'System Transferred'. Your disk is now ready.

The other alternative is to boot the Windows 2000 Recovery console and try from there. I have no idea if this will work though.

The steps for this are as follows:

Insert your Win2k CD, and reboot your machine so that it boots from the CD.

When the Setup Notification page appears, hit Enter.

Press R to repair an installation of Win2k.

Press C to start the Recovery Console

Select the installtion you want to repair (normally 1).

Type in the Administrator password when prompted for it.

You are now at the Recovery Console prompt.

As I said, I have no idea if this will let you do what you need to do.

The preferred route would be to create a boot disk from a 9x machine.

hmm... I havent touched a diskette in years.. can anyone send me one? ;D

thanx for all the replies.. you are indeed great ppl..

...so howd it go man?

after all the mobo updates and such?

go into add/remove to check the drivers for the display device

[This message has been edited by CrazyKillerMan (edited 24 October 2000).]

YEAH! Thanx guyz and or girls! it worked! all I needed was a BIOS update.. Thank you for your time and support!

Now Im off playing games.. (if they work) laugh if not I will come back here! hehe.. c ya around.

keep up the good work

Aah Bless him,

I can almost see him clicking his heels as he runs down the street.

Doesn't it just warm the cockles of your heart when you see a happy chappie sorted out.

This is one GR8 FORUM ! (and site)

Yak

--