Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jmmijo

Windows XP Pro 64-bit Edtition BSOD

So here are the details of what I've done and tested so far to attempt to figure out this issue, here are the System Specs:

Biostar TA790GXB A2+ Motherboard

AMD Phenom, Model 980 BE CPU, Stock Heatsink/Fan

4 x 2GB, Corsair DDR2/800MHz DIMM Modules

Antec True Power 550 Watt PS Unit

2 x 36GB, WD, Raptor HDD's in Single Drive Mode

1 x 750GB Seagate HDD

1 x Lite On DVD-RW Optical Drive, IDE Interface

1 x Lite On DVD-RW Optical Drive, SATA Interface

I'm using the onboard IGP which happens to be the Radeon HD3300 onboard using shared memory.

The issue happened on Windows 7, RC1 as well so that is when I decided to reformat the HDD and install XP Pro, 64-bit Edition just in case.

Under XP I get a 0x9C Save Dump message but it says Bugcheck, when I look up this error on the MS Knowledge Base it seems to indicate a Machine Check error.

One of the possible issues is graphics card and power supply.

I immediately thought of the ram so I grabbed my UBCD and booted up Memtest and let it run overnight.

5 passes and no errors.

Today I started up the Marisanne Prime test and it found errors, I will post some of the error.txt file it creates to see if these are related to the fact it's a pretty new CPU or is it really an issue with the CPU itself or possibly the motherboard.

It is a brand new motherboard and does have the latest BIOS installed.

I can somewhat duplicate the spontaneous reboot by viewing some videos, this seems to indicate an issue with the onboard graphics would it not ???

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated, thanks smile

Interesting, I have a TA790GX 128 and it did not like the onboard graphics either with Windows 7, RC1. Windows XP 32 bit was fine. Sounds like perhaps video to me.

Looks like you got the latest bios (6/3/09).

Did you install the CPU utility form the Biostar website?

Don't know why I am thinking of this, but are all your drives sata, except for the one optical drive? Good sata cables and connections?

What happens when you remove the IDE optical drive from the mix?

Thanks for the reply Danleff, I will look at the CPU Utility, but isn't this the same that AMD provides on their site ???

If so, I've already installed it.

I may have come across a solution, I changed the BIOS under the T-Series menu from NORMAL to Manual Overclocking and adjusted the RAM Voltage from the default of 1.8v to 1.95v, the next step up.

So far so good (knocks on formica)....

I'm thinking it could be an issue with the fact I'm using 4 x 2GB Ram Modules, maybe they need the extra juice so to speak.

So you say there is also a bios dated 6/03/09 ???

I didn't see but the one from January, I will look again...

As for the Graphics, I was thinking of installing one of those nice ATi Radeon HD4770's but I'm waiting for Newegg to get the Asus model back into stock at $100 smile

@Danleff, I just grabbed that BIOS update, had to go to their GLOBAL site instead of the US site frown

Ok, I've updated to the latest BIOS rev from the Global website and not from the US website.

I also had to clear the CMOS after it rebooted due to a hang at boot time.

After adjusting the settings accordingly, I went ahead and made my tweaks to the RAM Voltage and noticed that the DIMM slot assignments for this motherboard were not clearly defined until I looked at the manual and the slots themselves.

I was always thinking that the same colored slots were int the same channel, well not on this motherboard frown

I had mismatched memory in that they were purchased at a different time but still the same specs, sometimes there is a small timing difference that can cause strange behavior if the channels are not matched properly....

So far so good....