Compatible Support Forums
cugurl02

MP3 Player not recognized

I've searched everywhere and have tried everything to fix this. My dad recently got our laptop restored by our neighbor and i think the version of windows is wrong or missing alot of stuff. My SansaView MP3 player isn't recognized at all on it. When I plug it into my sister's laptop, it works fine and it says what it's supposed to say. But when I plug it into this one, it says USB device not recognized and the USB has malfunctioned. I talked to one of my friends, he says the media components on my version of windows is missing something, or a driver maybe? So I was just wondering if anyone knew what to download to make it a recognize it like my sister's computer did. Thanks

What Windows version are you running, XP, Vista...?

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Perhaps the person that installed Windows did not download the usb drivers?

Was the restore done via a fresh install of Windows, or an actual recovery disk for the specific laptop?

Do any other usb devices work on the laptop...and did the MP3 player work on the laptop before the restore?

windows xp, an acer.

i think it was a recovery disk. My neighbors Windows CD??

the mouse works just not my mp3 player and camera. and yes they worked before the crash and restoration.

The exact model of the Acer would be nice to know. There are dozens and most have a recovery option that either returns the laptop to it's original state, or you make a recovery cd of your own at any point or time.

What does your neighbor say that he/she did? Also the neighbor may help troubleshoot the problem with the laptop in front of him/her.

If a plain jane Windows XP disk was used, did he/she install the drivers for the system? Also, what service pack was installed? Your MP3 player needs Service Pack 2.

If it was the recovery disk for the laptop, then you can look in another direction.

it is an acer aspire 5102WLMi.

the neighbor basically F'ed it up cuz they did just load a basic windows XP disk. Also, I checked and the laptop has ServicePack 3. Should it still be ServicePack 2? Also, if there are drivers missing, can i download those somewhere? and are they free? I've downloaded alot of these "driver-scan" programs and they aren't much help.

Try the troubleshooting suggestions at the Scandisk site, located here and see if any of them work.