Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

" I'm coooold "

Noticed strange little quirk with my computer as of late.

I left the windows open last night, and had the panels removed from my computer....

When I woke up this morning, the CPU temperature read N/A, and the fans kept showing a zero rotation speed,

I thought computers were supposed to operate better when "cooled"?

I've also noticed this only happens when my mobo temperature is under 70 degrees Farenheit

------------------

NECESSARY EVIL

--Custom Built PC--

<Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1>

Intel Pentium III Coppermine(FCPGA 370) 800eb @ 900 (with ThermalTake Golden Orb heatsink)

Asus CUSL2 motherboard(no onboard sound) BIOS rev 1003.003 Beta

256MB PC133 SDRAM (1x256 Mushkin)

SuperMicro 760A Full Tower(Modded and Painted Hammerite Black)

SP301-RA 300W Athlon Approved Redundant Cooling Power Supply

IBM15-7 15GB UDMA/100 7200RPM hdd & 30GB MAXTOR Diamand Max UDMA/66 7200 RPM hdd

5 80mm & 3 92mm High Output fans(along with 2 80mm in Power Supply, CPU, and GeForce fans) spewing out almost 800 CFM(while acceptably quiet)

Creative Labs SB Live! X-Gamer running on Liveware 3

Creative Labs Graphics Blaster Annhilator Pro GeForce256 DDR on Detonator 6.34

Logitech Itouch Pro Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer(Gen 1) & Everglide (HL Giganta)

Logitech Soundman G1 Powered Speakers & AIWA HPX222 Headphones

D-Link DFE-530TX+ Ethernet Adapter

Compaq V720 17” (1280x1024) Monitor

Memorex 4x2x24 CD-RW & Pioneer 6x DVD/ 32x CD-ROM

Hauppauge WinTV Go

Hmmmm...

I'll have to crank the AC down to get my ambient temp low enough to cause my computer to drop to that temp. I'll let you know if I see anything screwy.

Currently, with the CUSL2, BIOS 1002 Final, PC Probe 2.12.02, I have these temps:

Ambient:

64-68 degrees F. (Not sure, no accurate temp guage nearby... using a Galileo therm.)

Motherboard:

71 degrees F. (Lowest I've ever had it, and highest has been around 74 degrees F.)

CPU:

85 degress F. (Ranges from 84-104 with a quirky 110 that I saw about three days ago - typically stays around 90 degrees F.)

Later! (I wear a sweater or a pullover at all times in my office....)

holy crap, how do u guys get your temps that low? my Thunderbird runs at 131 F. is that bad? i bought the best heatsink and fan they had... it's about 70 Degrees in here, and i leave my case off. what sort of cooling do you have? i read Athlons run hotter, but i wouldnt think that much hotter...

the people at the place i got it from put the heatsink and fan on there, so i dunno if they put any thermal compound on or not... it's got a sticker on it that voids the warrentee if u remove it, so i cant look at it for another couple of months...

My system runs below 100 degrees even with a 75 ambient and overclocked 150 mhz(and 26mhz FSB more).

I think the temperature was about 50 something last night, and the window was left open, the case was open, and all my fans were on

And heatsinks are veritable kilns, rather than hotplates :P

It took a little while (as well as some progression into the late afternoon hours...) but now my motherboard temp is 68-69 degrees F. CPU is still hovering around 84 degrees F. No funny stuff, no problems. Computer is acting normal.

Sorry, INFERNO but if ya got a problem, it's YOUR problem (not mine!) smile

As for how my comp gets this cool:

Easy,

1) Intel = runs at least 20 degrees CPU temp cooler.

2) Ambient temp = allows great cooling of computer but only when combined with...

3) Four high output 80mm fans (4200 RPM). Two blowing in on the side - one on top of the PCI slots, one deflected to the side of the CPU (when blowing directly on top of CPU, it slowed the CPU fan down by 200 RPM.) Two blowing out - one above the ATX I/O bracket, and one in front of the PCI card slots. The two blowing in are pushing so much air that the two blowing out are over-revved to 4800 RPM.

Quite chilly, and heat-free (as well as lockup free here.)

[This message has been edited by ByronT (edited 12 October 2000).]

mbm.gif

My chip stays pretty cool, with almost no extra cooling. I've had it OC'ed for a week now, and it never gets hot. I have a cheap-o HSF [$10 @ Fry's], and 1 case fan, and I had my case closed when I took the screenshot, but that varies.

-bZj

[edit]

I guess I should note that when I run SETI@home and my usage is at 100%, my CPU temp jumps to about 114F.

[/edit]

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====                 =====GimpBox=====Home built system:                Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard            AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]     Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                   40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E @ 667MHz                515MB Conner Hdd[100FSB @ 133 flip chip]          3 1/2, 5 1/4PNY 128MB PC100 RAM               ESS AudiodriveOEM 128MB PC133 RAM               3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr] 3C503?Stealth III S540 Video            Adaptec 2940U SCSI [coming soon]  LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet          [No OS installed, yet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd       HP A4331D 20" Monitor @ 1280      Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]         Win2K Server [v5.00.2195, SP-1] >  [url=http://down8.dhs.org]http://down8.dhs.org[/url] [format => clean install]           [email]brian@infinitejones.com[/email]  Norton AntiVirus 2000             Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

[This message has been edited by Down8 (edited 12 October 2000).]

hmmm... i supose it might be because i have no added fans. not to mention the coolguys at A-Open thought it would be a good idea to put the power supply by the CPU... i'm hoping to get a new case soon... well if urs runs at around 85, i should be able to get my T-bird to run at around 105-110... hopefully...