Sign in to follow this  
captain winters

need help....again

hi there guys

i have a problem or better yet my nephew had a problem

His system

- p2 350

- qdi mainboard ( via mobo )

- 64 mb ram ( yea i know this isnt quit enough for win2k )

- 48 speed creative cdrom drive

- hp 8100 cd burner

- seagate 13.4 gig harddrive

- soundblaster 128 pci

now here is the problem

win2k installs just fine and runs fine also but whenever he turns off the computer ( through win2k offcourse ) and he turns it back on win2k will fail too boot at the splash screen of win2k ( shutdown works proparly )

the only way too get win2k going again is too clear his bios setup ( you know with the jumper thingie ) and then all of a suddon win2k will boot again

This is strange and if anybody knows a sollution please do so because this is just plain weird

p.s win2k is installed as an standard pc not acpi system

------------------

revence is a dish best served cold

It definately sounds like a BIOS problem. Go to the manufacturer online and make sure you have the newest BIOS for your mb.

And space my friend, is very cold place.

-- Kahn: Star Trek II (The Wrath of Kahn)

Sorry, no advice from me but I had to finish that quote.

------------------

We must draw a line, this far and no farther.

Quote:
sorry no luck didnt help

Does this mean you already had the latest BIOS or that flashing it didn't help.

Even if the latest version on the website is the same as the one you are currently using, it'd be worth re-flashing it anyway.

Do you get any STOP errors when Windows boots, can you use the F8 key to go in in Safe Mode?

Can you do a logged boot, and then clear the BIOS, boot into Windows and read the log to see if you can find what is failing?

After you clear teh BIOS and get back into Windows, is there anything in the System Event Log?

hey guys i have found the problem

the voodoo banshee was causing the boot problem because win2k and win98 both froze when the drivers for the voodoo banshee where loaded

------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by captain winters:
hey guys i have found the problem

the voodoo banshee was causing the boot problem because win2k and win98 both froze when the drivers for the voodoo banshee where loaded

A 3dfx product that causes system crashes, you say? Never heard of those! wink

Seriously though, you might want to try making sure that the card isn't sharing IRQs with other cards. That might involve moving around or even removing some of your PCI cards, and your video card too if it's a PCI video card.

well i am positive that it was the creative voodoo banshee which was causing the freeze because now my nephew is using an ati rage pro 3d and his system runs like a train no lockups anymore

------------------