Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dr00bie

Mandrake 9.1 Install No Sound from Sound Blaster LIVE Value

I am a new linux user and my first time using it was with a SuSe Live Eval CD, and that was great. Other than a few video/monitor issues I straightened it out and it worked beautifully... but a SuSe iso is unavailable, so I thought I'd try out Mandrake. I burned the isos and installed.... everything went great.... until kde started up, and, no cool sound when the peripherals load... so i tryed playing some mp3 files with xmms... no sound... So now I'm stuck with no sound...

Any ideas? I'm really a newbie and I really enjoy the ease and logical nature of linux, but no sound really bites...

Mandrake 9.1 w/ Sound Blaster LIVE! Value

Thanks,

Drew

Thats EXACTLY what i was getting :x

So I switched to Redhat 9 8)

Go to Mandrake Control Center > Hardware > HardDrake > SB Live! then click run config ( or similar )

Should launch a window and it should be set at Audigy driver where you want Emu10k1

:x

In both KDE and GNOME on Mandrake, it does not start the soundserver by default. In KDE, go to the control panel and the sounds applet (I use GNOME so I can't remember what KDE calls it)... click the box to start the ARTS soundserver on startup.

you sure it will work? is sound disabled by deafult? im on redhat just now and i get sound, but want to go back to mandrake and get sound :x

:x :x :x :x :x

I know that the soundservers are disabled by default.

And I also know that if you have an SBLive, it will work hands down.

My SB Live wont work hands down ;(

its driving me nuts :x

:x i need help :x

You reinstalled Mandrake and it doesn't work? Did you try enabling the soundserver?

yeah i tried that

my onboard sound is set as master, i think, how do i make my SB Live master ;(

Two sound cards rarely coexist.

You'll need to disable the onboard sound in BIOS (usually there) or via a jumper on your motherboard...

By default, the sound is muted in mandrake 9.1.

Open aumix (multimedia menu) and increase the levels. Press "S" to save settings, so that they are saved for the next reboot.

This helps :x

I cant even open the mixer! When I try to load Volume Control:

"Please check if you have permission to open /dev/mixer

Or see if your kernel supports sound."

When I open audio meter:

"Cannot connect to sound daemon.

Open esd at control panel."

Huh? What's this? Nobody's had this problem yet.Please e-mail me or something cause this really sucks!