Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tristan777

How do u enable AGP 4x?

i just got an Asus A7V(KT133) and a T-bird 800 a few days ago, and it seems to be running great, but i cant figure out how to enable AGP 4x. it is set to "optimal performance" in the bios. that suposedly makes AGP 4x available. WCPUID tells me that the available modes are 1x, 2x, and 4x, and it is running in 2x. i looked through the Video properties and stuff and couldnt find it.

thanks.

ps. the little PC probe program that came with my board tells me my Mobo temp is 41C/105F and my CPU temp is 61C/141F. this seems aweful hot to me. is that ok? (the place i got my board from put a sticker on the heatsink to the board, and so if i take the fan off it will void the warentee...)

thanks again.

ok, i figured out that there were some jumper settings i needed on the card. well i set the jumpers and i'm still getting the same thing.... it says it's capable of all 3 speeds but it just wants to do 2x.... i installed the newest VIA AGP driver, and a registry key that was suposed to enable agp 4x. frown anyone have any ideas? pleeez...

thanks...

I dont know the link of the website, but go to infoseek and search for powerstrip. There is a free download version. Install it and there is a way to change the AGP settings. Good luck and hope it works out.

ok, well power strip says that my system board supports AGP 4x, but my video card doesnt. so i'm gonna try messing with the jumpers some more i guess. anyone know of a site that might explain it a little better? Diamonds site has 2 sentences saying which jumpers should be closed or open. 3 of them had only 1 setting, open or closes. but the last one has 3 pins. "A, B, and C" but these pins arent labled on the card, so i just put it on the oposite pins as it was for 2x.... hmmm...

Do you have an nVidia card? If so, it's a registry setting. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv4\Device0 and create a DWORD called EnableVia4X and set it to 1. More info on this is available at www.geforcefaq.com.

[This message has been edited by GHackmann (edited 02 October 2000).]

I had same problem on my Gladiac GeForce 2 GTS. Until I installed the recently "leaked" 6.31 det's. I have a Athlon 1GHz on the KA7-100 mobo, now I get AGP4x stable without any reg hack. BTW the 6.18 disable 4x on Athlon/Duron mobos even if you try the 4x reg hack.

------------------

Jim "KDawg" Komkov

Co-Founder / Admin / Beer Drinking Redneck

The Wulfpac

ShinerRedneck : Drunk with Attitude!

here's my specs

Asus A7V(KT133)

Thunderbird 800

Viper v770u(TNT2U)

128 megs(PC-100)

SB Live! value w/ LW3 for win2k

13 gig wd hdd

Netgear 10/100 nic

alright that's bout it. i have the 6.18 drivers. sigh... that was my problem... where do i get the 'leaked' 6.31s?

[This message has been edited by tristan777 (edited 03 October 2000).]

*sigh*

i installed the 6.31 drivers and it's still running in AGP 2x. powerstrip is still saying my mobo supports 4x but my card doesnt. i even double checked the jumper settings on my card... i'm running out of ideas.

Well were you able to get 4x with the 5.32 det 2's, or even the last 3.xx det 1's. The reason I ask is because the TNT2s do not utilize all the features of the Det 3's. I use the 5.32 drivers on a second PC which has a V770 Ultra in it and everything works well. I did not notice any real improvement when I installed det 3's on it so I went back to the 5.32 driver. Also take into account that I do not notice any significant performance increase when running the card at 4x, probably due to the fact that it was developed prior to the release of any 4x mobos. I do understand however the desire to run it at 4x, you bought a card that "supposedly" supports 4x then you should be able to get 4x. I will ask around see if I can find anything out that may be of some use to you.

------------------

Jim "KDawg" Komkov

The Wulfpac

Here's the *trick*:

The Diamond Viper V770 is configured to AGP 4X by moving all four jumpers from their defaults. (My Viper V770 is running AGP 4X).

On jumper J4, move the jumper to the B-C position (it's marked A-B-C.) Also note, that B-C are the lower positions on the three pin jumper.

And move the jumpers on J1, J2, and J3 to the closed/jumpered position. That's it.

You do that, and if your motherboard is capable (and you're not OCing [OCing on some boards = automatic drop to 2X]), then you should be able to get AGP 4X.

Uh, don't forget to check your BIOS to see if it limits the AGP bus to 2X or 4X (I had to enable 4X capability in the motherboard BIOS.)

HTH.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

[This message has been edited by ByronT (edited 03 October 2000).]

yea. i changed the jumpers. that was the second or third thing i tried. 4x is enabled in the bios. i just flashed the newest bios last night. it didnt change anything related to AGP.

i havent tried any dets before 6.18(all i tried was 6.18 and 6.32) you know where i can find the old ones?

hehe. you got that right. i just want to make sure they weren't lyin to me. a higher # has to be better.... hehehe.

i have the agp 4x hack too. frown

thanks again for all the help guys. i'll look for the older drivers.

Did you reapply the reg hack after you installed the drivers? Also, did you install the latest VIA AGP Drivers from http://www.viatech.com ? I personally ditched my VIA stuff and went intel. No hacks, no crashes, no problems.

yea i redid the registry hack. i even went into regedit and made sure the DWORD was still there. and it is. i have the latest AGP driver. i'm gonna see if i can find the old drivers to try out on it...

well i tried the 5.32 drivers. and agp 4x still doesnt work, though i did get a 10 FPS increase in Q3 demo001. so that made me pretty happy. now only if i could get 4x working. i can't find the 3.xx drivers though...

checkout 3D Chipset and check out the links to the NVidia drivers. I use that site all the time, good luck in your quest for 4x.

------------------

Jim "KDawg" Komkov

The Wulfpac

hmmm well that site only gives the newest drivers. hmmm... shoulda kept all my old drivers i guess. hehe...

ok, i tried the 3.75 drivers. WCPUID and Powerstrip still reported AGP 2x, and Quake3 got an error when i tried to run it(crap AGP driver maybe?)

ah well i have tried 3.75, 5.32, and 6.31 drivers and still no AGP 4x. i think they were lyin to me. i dont think it is really supported by the tnt2 or somethin... i just dont get it...