Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tpe

router hub ip q3a and xdsl questions

Please help me, I am new to theses things and have some questions that I am sure (hope) are very simple (Please make the answer simple as well).

I have an ISP that has given me a permenent IP number (well they say it may change once a week). My modem is atached to a zyxel 310 router and then to a hub with 3 pcs (2x win 98 1x w2k).

First question is my router a firewall?

2nd question how do I find out the IP number of the router (set to obtain an IP number automatically).

3rd question how do i let other people see and join a quake3 server on one of the pcs (i can find out the ip number of the pc server that the router gave it by pinging the computer name).

4th and final question, sometimes I get network inturuptions when playing quake or unreal online, can anyone tell me where to find out how to optimise the router or modem to reduce the interuptions (I dont know if itis the router or modem I should be playing with)

thanks to anyone who can help

tpe

Well, I can tell you how I do it with my Eicon DIVA LAN ISDN router. Basically, it acts like a firewall because of its NAT (Network Address Translation) abilities. When I wanted to host a game, web/ftp/telnet/etc server, I just forwarded the port that I was using for the app to the necessary machine. For instance:

Router has an EXTERNAL IP by DHCP with the ISP

Router has an INTERNAL IP of 192.168.1.1

PC1 has an IP of 192.168.1.10

PC2 has an IP of 192.168.1.11

Server1 has an IP of 192.168.1.100

Now, if I want to host a Q3 game on PC1, I would go to the router and tell it to forward all traffic from port 27960 (or whatever port you select) to PC1 at its IP. When I setup my web server, I setup the router to forward all traffic from port 80 to Server1 at its IP. Cool?

Now, as far as finding your ip on the outside (ISP side), I would go to the "stats" page on my router (its a web server too for just its info-I can also do all setup functions within a web browser by just going to its IP on the network) and look at the outside IP. I know that most of these home units are going to web-based managment, so you may have that option. I know that a lot of them (as well as most commercial-level equipment) use telnet/hyperterminal sessions to allow for management of the device.

I hope this helps, if not, let me know.

BTW, I am not sure about what you mean in regards to "network interruptions." Is that internal or external?

------------------

Regards,

clutch

Dear clutch

Well thanks for the reply, It took me a little time to get to grips with, let me see if i have it straight.

to forward the port I use for the app (q3 or web server hereunder server1) to the necessary machine i have to go into my router setup (telnet in my case) and associate a port number with an ip number. Having done this someone trying to access the server has to provide an ip address and a port number?

*Router has an EXTERNAL IP by DHCP with the ISP

*Router has an INTERNAL IP of 192.168.1.1

*PC1 has an IP of 192.168.1.10

*PC2 has an IP of 192.168.1.11

*Server1 has an IP of 192.168.1.100

*Now, if I want to host a Q3 game on PC1, I would go to the router and tell it to forward all traffic from port 27960 (or *whatever port you select) to PC1 at its IP. When I setup my web server, I setup the router to forward all traffic from port *80 to Server1 at its IP. Cool?

yes got it so far (is 27960 the normal port for quake?) I think I am learning something!

as far as my public ip well i went through the manual for an hour or so and could not find it then i had a go with the terminal and couldnt find it, then i found a wweb page that could tell me

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks has a little java script app.

the network interruptions i was on about are when the connection gets lost when playing onm line, sometimes they are terible and sometimes they are ok, i am sure i will find out what to do about them in time even if only use another server.

so your post has helped a lot I think you have solved my problem. I think I have the theory under my belt now just the practice, if my mates are up for a quick frag.

all the best

tpe