Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mwalam

Asus Motherboard Compatability with Linux

Can you tell me which one of them compatible with linux.

Asus P4S533-MX Skt478 Sis651 DDR/SDRAM Integrated Graphics support 3GHz+ P4 CPUs on 533MHz FSB Motherboard

Asus P4PE/L/GD Sockel 478 i845PE ATX/Sound/LAN/USB 2.0/FSB533/DDR/AGP

P4s533-mx Skt478 Sis651 - Matx Vga Snd Ln Ub20 Fsb533 1a/3 In

P4bgl-mx Skt478 I845gl - Matx Vga Snd Ln Ub2 Fsb400 In

Hard to tell right off the bat. Unfortunately I dont have enough time to do all the research for you. But I can point you in the right direction. First try going to the Asus web site and the support section. Do a search for linux with each one of the motherboards your interested in. If they provide linux drivers then your in buisness. If that doesn't return much or all of what your after then turn to your best friend http://www.google.com and do a search for 'linux motherboardmodelhere' this should give you tons of info on each of the boards and what does and doesnt work with linux. Asus is popular if most but not all features are fully supported then you can rest assured shortly some one will write software for it. I for example have the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and while the Sil 3112 serial ATA is not yet fully supported the next version or two of the linux kernel will fully support it. That hasn't kept me from using linux on it. Good luck!

Similar to the Asus A7n8X board is Chaintech 7-NJS Zenith- they're based on the nforce2 chipset.

Have any of you linux user had experience installing linux on this particularly motherboard?

I'm thinking of upgrading. Any opinions or inputs?

Thanks.

My Asus A7N8X has been rock solid for the past 6-8 months. I'm like it a lot. The Deluxe version I have has two onboard nic's, support for 8 usb 2.0 ports and every feature one could ever want out of a board. With the exception of serial ATA not being particularly mature in linux just yet it's an awesome board. Word on the street is that SATA should be fully supported by the kernel for versions 2.5 which are currently beta. Look for full SATA support in the next releases of the major distro's. I would highly recommend this platform if your not willing to wait for Opteron processors.

Quote:
Can you tell me which one of them compatible with linux.

Asus P4S533-MX Skt478 Sis651 DDR/SDRAM Integrated Graphics support 3GHz+ P4 CPUs on 533MHz FSB Motherboard

Asus P4PE/L/GD Sockel 478 i845PE ATX/Sound/LAN/USB 2.0/FSB533/DDR/AGP

P4s533-mx Skt478 Sis651 - Matx Vga Snd Ln Ub20 Fsb533 1a/3 In

P4bgl-mx Skt478 I845gl - Matx Vga Snd Ln Ub2 Fsb400 In

I have never had problems with ASUS and Linux.