Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

SB 128 with Windows 2000

I have tried many different versions of my SB 128 PCI drivers for my sound card, and none of them seem to show the Bass and Treble in the Volume Settings. Anyway that i can get these to be enabled, because I don't have bass and treble volumes right on my subwoofer/speaker set, and there is like next to no bass coming out of the subwoofer because of these missing features. Anyone?

------------------

-------------------------

Because I can.....

Perhaps there isn't actually Bass and treble support. The 2 options are standard microsoft settings, if you edit the registry you can enable them, but nothing will happen. I'm saying this as I've tried with my SB64PCI (ES1371) it is similar to some PCI128's, but without the extra 64 software midi voices (where it gets the name from).

well, for future reference, can you tell me where in the registry?

Thanks

------------------

Because I can.....

Hi Jdul, How are u? OK, SB 128, but what SB 128?

CT48xx?

ES137X?

there are many models, please tell me which model.

Moreover, a week ago in the main page of NTcompatible appeared the link to New Drivers for PCI 128.

Give 'em a try.

Back again, had to re-install w2k, it kept on resetting just before the logon box.

What chip is it?

Anyway, I've been digging around in the default install drivers, which as the advanced control menu item greyed out in the volume properties. We need to find out how to enable it, registry key? inf option? no sucess yet. Have a look somewhere in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\ in the large selection of hex numbers there is the multimediamedia stuff, my own PC has the Sb64V at

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002\Settings]

This seams to be the equivalent place where such a registry key would go to enable tone controls.

It holds the following (on my PC)

"WaveVol_Left"=dword:00030000

"WaveVol_Right"=dword:00030000

"WaveMute"=dword:00000000

"CDVol_Left"=dword:fffffff6

"CDVol_Right"=dword:fffffff6

"CDMute"=dword:00000000

"LineInVol_Left"=dword:fffffff6

"LineInVol_Right"=dword:fffffff6

"LineInMute"=dword:00000001

"MicBoost"=dword:00000001

"MicVol"=dword:fffffff6

"MicMute"=dword:00000001

"VideoVol_Left"=dword:fffffff6

"VideoVol_Right"=dword:fffffff6

"VideoMute"=dword:00000000

"AuxVol_Left"=dword:fffffff6

"AuxVol_Right"=dword:fffffff6

"AuxMute"=dword:00000000

"PhoneVol"=dword:fffffff6

"PhoneMute"=dword:00000000

"LineOutVol_Left"=dword:fff3fff6

"LineOutVol_Right"=dword:fff3fff6

"LineOutMute"=dword:00000000

"WaveInMux"=dword:00000004

"MixCapVol_Left"=dword:ffffffe4

"MixCapVol_Right"=dword:ffffffe4

"CDCapVol_Left"=dword:ffffffe4

"CDCapVol_Right"=dword:ffffffe4

"LineInCapVol_Left"=dword:ffffffe4

"LineInCapVol_Right"=dword:ffffffe4

"MicCapVol_Left"=dword:000f000a

"MicCapVol_Right"=dword:000f000a

"VideoCapVol_Left"=dword:ffffffe4

"VideoCapVol_Right"=dword:ffffffe4

"AuxCapVol_Left"=dword:ffffffe4

"AuxCapVol_Right"=dword:ffffffe4

"PhoneCapVol_Left"=dword:000f000a

"PhoneCapVol_Right"=dword:000f000a

I think the best results will come from the creative mixer, not the MS one.

The last option is to use a port access driver called DLPortIO which allows direct hardware access in NT! On which a somple visual basic program (or word document!) could set the tone controls. But that depends on what type of chip is on your card, and whether it actually has tone controls. Does the win9x hack, just enable the sliders, or does it actually alter the sound? The register address's would simply be taken from the linux driver source code. 10/10 for open-source wink

I have tried everything, there has to be a way to enable them..

frown

------------------

Because I can.....

I don't even know it off the top of my head...

most models are the same **** when it comes to the registry anyways..

just throw a bunch of them here smile

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

Its important that I know the chip type. Look at the driver in system devices, it will be something like ES1371, ES1370 WDM or something else. I have a ES1371, so your chances are better if you have the ensoniq version.

Heres something I found earlier wink

This is from the Linux drivers, note the 0x00ff and 0xff masks, this shows that the bass is one half of a command, the other is treble, then the actual value is Or(ed) (added) to the leftover half!

Code:
	case SOUND_MIXER_BASS:-		val = ((l1 * 15) / 100) & 0xf;-		wrcodec(s, AC97_MASTER_TONE, (rdcodec(s, AC97_MASTER_TONE) & 0x00ff) | (val << 8));-		return 0;--	case SOUND_MIXER_TREBLE:-		val = ((l1 * 15) / 100) & 0xf;-		wrcodec(s, AC97_MASTER_TONE, (rdcodec(s, AC97_MASTER_TONE) & 0xff00) | val);-		return 0;

I also found this in the winme driver when comparing:

a reference to a file on someones HD!

F:\ntc\private\ntos\dd\wdm\audio\backpln\stdunk\stdunk.cpp

Those lazy MS people must have not bothered getting rid of those last few compiler errors!

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 28 September 2000).]

OK, WDM is the type of driver, the new Windows Driver Model, equal for win9x and win2k (NT family).

I have the ES 1371 also, (on card there is the name CT 4810), so what about downloading the newest drivers from:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/ea/4035FULL.exe

They are claimed to be compatible with Win98/ME/2k. (WDM Family)

I tried them winth WinME and they run ok!

They are designed for Win2k, so I think you'll be well with them.

yep..

I got ES1371 as well

------------------

Whistler is or will be better than Windows 2000, if you don't think so, get a reality check and hope it doesn't bounce.

I'w was comparing the two because the winme was the newest, and I was bored. The WDM compatibilty is as always "theoretical", it doesn't always work. Instead the packages often come with separate .sys files, or are contained within the one .sys file. I have tried all the ES137x derived drivers and have had little sucess, none have been more reliable than the standard MS ones.

Doesn't it not worry you that this is stated on the creative website:

Quote:
This is a new driver release for Sound Blaster PCI128 (Model No. CT4750 & CT4751 - this installation does not support CT 4700 and 1370-based card models), for users running on Windows 2000.

As usuall there is no reference to the other 20-odd configurations of PCI128's, which are left in a grey area.

(I tried it anyway, a while back!)

As far as I can remember, although its a bit messed up, creative just renamed some ES137x chips to there standard (CTXXXX), but then they revised the IC design, gave the chip a new part number, and Hey presto new drivers were needed. Although the drivers are standard the AC97 mixer configuration (mixer ins and outs) are different, this is why different drivers are often necessary. Take my card for example its a SBPCI64V, according to creative it is a ES1370, chip. It is actually a ES1371 on my board! What is what? I don't know. Neither do creative.

If the intel drivers work for the card, then even so the tone controls are probably still greyed out. Hence, no progress.