Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KJ1999

NT RAM Capacity

Hey!

Anyone know the maximum amount of RAM you can have on NT 4.0 Workstation?? I know 4.0 Server is 4GB.....is Workstation the same, or less as I would think????

Thanks,

KJ1999

It's the same also, I don't why you have have 4GB memory for NT 4.0 workstation but hey you can never have enough.

hehe

Isn't it 64 Gig? That is how segmentation works? Or am I totaly wrong here?

Here is some technical crap if any1 wants to read it:

Memory Managment:

The Windows NT Virtual Memory Manager (VMM) is responsible for OS- and application-level memory management. Windows NT 4.0 processes on the x86 architecture have a 4 gigabyte (GB) virtual address space. The lower 2 GB is available to the application, and the upper 2 GB is used to memory-map OS components. The upper partition is shared among all applications. This increases efficiency by allowing all loaded applications, drivers, and other code to share a single OS partition. The VMM implements automatic working-set trimming. When idle cycles are available, the VMM swaps out the least-used pages in each process' address space. Over time, this pruning leads to the most efficient possible use of VM. Unused physical memory can then be returned to the file cache or application components that can use it. Working-set trimming is particularly effective when applied to shared code like that found in the 2 GB OS partition or in shared applications run under Windows NT Server, Terminal Server Edition. The VMM also implements per-application protected memory, and it automatically reclaims allocated memory when a process terminates.

Very Large Memory Partitions:

As mentioned, standard off-the-shelf Windows NT 4.0 allows a 2 GB address space to every running process. This is more than sufficient for most applications, but many enterprise data-processing applications, particularly online transaction processing (OLTP) or data mining, need even more space. Windows NT Server, Enterprise Edition remaps half of the system address space into the application space, resulting in 3 GB of usable address space, but sometimes even 3 GB isn't enough.

The solution depends on the availability of two technologies. First, multiple machines can be tied into a single cluster. Applications that can run across multiple SMP machines in a cluster effectively have access to an address space as large as the sum of the individual machines' space. This technique allows SMP clusters to use up to 64 GB of total memory, though each process is still limited to 3 GB. A more flexible solution depends on the availability of 64-bit CPUs like the Alpha or the Merced. These processors can access extremely large address spaces, and a forthcoming version of Windows NT Server will take full advantage of them by allowing applications to manipulate 64-bit addresses and data using the existing Win32 API set. In the meantime, there are individual applications which can leverage 64-bit CPUs--notably Oracle's Very Large Memory (VLM) for Alpha NT, which can access from 8 GB to 28 GB of virtual and physical memory (depending on the Alpha server used) from within a single process.

[This message has been edited by Igor (edited 27 September 2000).]

Thanks....

I don't have, or want 4GB...that would just be plain silly! How'd need that!

The reason I ask...is someone is asking me. I know for a fact that NT 4.0 Server is 4GB....but I am wondering if Workstation is the same, or less?? That's all!

Thanks though!!

smile