Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
captain winters

windows 2000 and via mvp 3 mobo

hello everybody

i have 2 systems and p3 and an k6-2 on the p3 windows 2000 runs perfectly with noissues what soever but the k6-2 isnt working at all with windows 2000

windows 2000 installs itself ok but when the installation is finished and it loads up my computer freezes how is this possible and how can i resolve this

the specs for the k6-2 machine are as follows

- amd k6-2 450 mhz processor

- via mvp3 mobo

- 128 mb pc 100 cas 2 ram

- soundblaster 16 pci

- voodoo 3 2000 pci

- realtek 8029(as) network card

- quantem fireball 4,1 gig harddrive

in the bios i have disabled acpi because otherwise windows 2000 wouldnt install

and i have configured windows 2000 as an standard pc

if anyone has an idea please say so because i really really dont want to return too win98

------------------

revence is a dish best served cold

i had an mvp3 board for a while as well. it always froze on start up, i think that is what you mean? well i just got a thunderbird today with a kt133 chipset, and it was doing the same thing. but i let it sit there for about a minute or so and it continued to boot. so my suggestion, let it sit there for a little bit. it may not really be frozen. smile

setup will install ACPI regardless of bios settings if the bios is dated as released after 01/01/2000. YOu have to manually disable ACPI in the setuptxt file, or by pressing F4? during the initial setup stage setting computer to "standard PC". Also reduce any hardware problems by removing all cards ubtil the OS is installed and running. I found that the Realtek 8029, although rock solid (stability wise) caused problems with older Bios' and via chipset drivers, but eventually this became less and less a problem, as newer bios' were relesed. Before my fic 503+ died, it went from a nightmare install to striaght forward no problems, the only difference being the bios.

well tristan777 i hve waited for about an hour and it still didnt start up so i think it is really frozen

and euankirkhope i already tried that f4 stuff in my first message i already said i have configured win2000 as an standard pc

and i have tried removing the network card and al the other cards except the video card and still nothing

------------------

Is UDMA enabled?

On the first boot after installing win2k, if udma is enabled under various circumstances it can destroy the bootsector immediately after the bootmenu has cleared. With the via mvp3 the via 4-in-1 driver must be installed before UDMA is enabled in bios. Also pnp os should be off, usb on.

Please clarify make/revision of motherboard.

Where exactly does the PC hang? immediately after bootmenu, on load of win2000 startup logo, on desktop startup? how far does the bootlog get (c:\winnt\ntbtlog.txt)? Safemode sucess/fail? Manually set bios options? CPU cache? is motherboard rated for k6-2 450? many are not. Some require specific revisions of K6-2, AHX use less power than the AFX (or vice-versa). Overclocking?, non standard system clock speed, 75/83.5Mhz is bad.

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 26 September 2000).]

udma is disabled and win2k hangs when loading the desktop

cache is 512 kb

motherboard supports 450 mhz k6 -2

bus speed is set at 100 mhz

safe mode is succesvol an the system is ahx not overclocked the internal cache is 128 kb

revision unknown for the motherboard cannot find it anywhere on the board

------------------

Ok I know whats happening, the PC has not hanged, the video driver has failed to start. Basically you're looking at a blank screen I used to get that with beta 3 and RC2 all the time with my old TNT. There are a number of procedures yo will have to go through.

First of all, remove all cards except the Graphics card. Enter bios and verify that the card is assigned an IRQ, and that all shadow, palatte, and graphic caches are off.

Start up safe mode, and install the latest Via 4-in-1 drivers from www.viatech.com/drivers then the latest 3dfx drivers.

When in safe mode check in the event veiwer (control panel/admin tools) in the system tab, for the actual problem. I'm 99% percent sure I'm right.

After a restart the driver should start and the display activate. This fooled me for ages as the monitor was getting a signal (just blackness), so the no signal LED never came on.

It is important that the latest bios is installed. What make is your motherboard?

sorry to disappoint you but that isnt the sollution i do get a picture on my screen and the mouse cursor and all and i get too the networking thing ( you know where you can set the user wich is mostly behind this system so that you wont have to type in the username and pass anymore everytime win2k starts ) but after that is finished it just freezes i cant move the mouse and all that stuff and after an hour is still was frozen

------------------

hey guys thanx for all the info but i solved my problem the problem was tht i had my usb irq disabled ( without it it still works in win98 ) but in win2k it needs an irq or the system hangs well now i finally have it going thanx guys for the help

------------------