Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
INFERNO2000

Need Opinions on CD Drive

F*cking Compaq. They released a firmware update for my model of computer, but don't mention(until I call them for "tech support"--see also half an hour on hold while the guy looks for standard info--) the fact that it was was for Slot, rather than Track DVD players.

So now I'm left with an expensive cup holder, as the eject button brings it into the out and mt. dew holding position...but pressing it again only makes it shift and spill the Mt. Dew.(I've not tried yet...but dammit I think I will).

So I need to go out and get a new drive.

Either CD or DVD...I don't care.

I don't need a CD RW..but if someone has an 8x or 12x for under $150, then I'll jump on that.

Anyway...that leads me to the point of this rant.

I need opinions on good CD ROM or DVD ROM drives....all I ask is that it be 32x or better CD, and 6x or better DVD. It MUST BE ABLE TO READ CDRWs!!!! And it must be under $150.

What do you guys recomend?

Hell Inferno, for that [almost] price, I can give you the ultimate all-in-one solution.

Go to www.DealCatcher.com, and look for the buy.com $30 off $150 for new buyers [i don't remember buying anything from them... since I preordered Matrix anyway], then head over to buy.com, and buy this CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive for $208.95, so before shipping, it's only ~$180.

And, I checked, it's supported in Win2K already.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I want one smile

-bZj

What you really want is the Kenwood True 72X cdrom drive. Unlike other cdrom drives that have a stupidly high speed, this drive has multiple beams so it actually reads at 72x and isnt stupidly noisy. This is the fastest cdrom drive available, not to mention that its a quality drive and doesnt sound like a 747 on takeoff smile

http://www.kenwoodtech.com/72x.html

Haven't a lot of people had problems with Kenwood drives and the copy protection system used in some games?

I recently got an AOpen 52x Internal EIDE CD-Drive for £30 + VAT (I know this the UK, but I imagine the price would be similar in the US).

It replaced my old Sony DDU220E DVD drive (biggest ple of crap ever), and I'm well chuffed.

Don't be cheap when you buy a drive. You always get what you pay for.

Seeing as we're not talking about burners the choices are relatively easy.

CD-ROM. For FULL compat with any CDFS in the damn world except DVD, wicked transfer rates, unparalled audio extraction and almost non-existent load on your cpu the only choice is a Plextor. They can be had pretty cheap these days also.

For pretty much the best DVD drive out there which is also compat with all file formats and has excellent transfer rates (lacking somewhat in audio extraction), but plays DVD superb and is natively supported in Win2000, go with the Pioneer 115.

I bought one of those from Onvia.ca for $155CDN, so you can probably find one in US for $100 or less.

Forget that TrueX crap and any other IDE CD-ROM out there either. My Plextor 12-20 drive still smokes any IDE drive I've used.

I've read that the truex line has problems with the ATA 100 drivers for my motherboard...at least that's what I read in the forums at cusl2.com....

I'm looking at CD ReWriters too...if so, Plextor will be my favorite, and I know Pioneer has the best DVDs(That's what mine is, by the way....beneath that compaq exterior)...

Best Buy has a lot of Acer Cd drives...but I'm cautious to going to them...haven't heard the best of things about Acer...

But memorex, I've got a lot of pleasant experience with them...maybe I'll look into them as well....oh well..I have until noon central time to figure it all out.