Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sparkhard

what power supply 250 or 300

I am building a new DUAL CPU system probably in late november... here is what i plan to use

I already have: 3 HDD a 12 gig 17gig 9gig

a VooDoo 3 3500, Samsung 8xDVD

, sony CD RW 10x4x32, Promise DmA 66 controller, 128 RAM, "for the last 2 HDD listed" a PIII 600, " i have another PIII 500 that i plan to use" the rest are the basic parts "modem , NIC, and Sound"

What i plan to get: A tyan tiger 133.. and a 256 meg DIMM .. my question is about my power supply.. there are a lot of nice cases with a 250w but i was wondering if i need a 300w "with all of the drives i will be running" i am currently running this system on a 200w supply.. any help is appreciated

Sparkhard

It really depends on your actual needs. If you're not planning to add more devices, you should be ok, but the nice thing about the larger PS is that you can be reasonably assured that any *funny* things happening with a lot of devices - aren't power related.

So my bottom line would be: If you can afford it, buy the 300W.

Personally, I'm running a 350W for the extra power connects that it comes with - as well as making sure that I have enough power for my devices.

HTH.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

More power the merrier smile I got a 350watt in my machine, was going to go for the 400 but the price:watt ratio wasnt good enough for a purchase (add the fact that I probably dont go over 250-300).

hehe, I was gonna suggest the 300, and then ask why not a 350, or 400, but these other dudes already got ya lined out.

I have a 300 watt p/s in my dual Celeron 433 at home, BP6 mobo, and it seems to be running well, I have 3 HD's and 2 CD's, a 3dfx Voodoo2, Matrox AGP, SB AWE 32, 2 NIC's bla bla bla.. smile

It's been super stable for over a year and a half now is what I'm saying, and I have alot of stuff on it too, ya should be okay.