Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediBaron

Anyone figured out the HP CDRW kill all CD drives problem ye

Stupid HP writer just killed all my CD devices in my friend's machine. Went to burn a cd - then lockup and no more CD drives frown. I haven't figured any way of getting them back. Some people have reinstalled and then got them back, but how can I be sure that that will work?

I had the same problem.

Reinstalled Win2k, installed Nero.

Now it works 100%, so I'll guess the troubles came with Adaptec EZ-CD.

The only difference on my system is no EZ-CD this time...

// Toby

Yeah - I'm on that path right now unless something else comes up. Why is it that only HP's seem to have this problem, everybody else's CD Writers work without a hitch, but HP's are nothing but constant headaches??!?!?!?

My friend just got an HP CDRW and it works just fine... He's even using the adaptec software.

What version of the Adaptec software are you using? 3.5c and above have worked great in 2000. As of 4 Creator uses it's own internal ASPI.

The newest one - 4.02c I believe.

I know that it uses it's own internal ASPI, but that in no way explains why it crushed all CD devices on the system.

Hmm, The latest version of Creator is 4.02d. Try that. This is almost certainly a software problem. (Not a problem with 2000). Most likely it's a problem with the Adaptec software. So up[censored] to 4.02d should work. My HP 9100 8X4X32 works fine in 2000 and I've never had a problem. Even with the original 4.02. You could also try up[censored] the firmware of your writer. Also try Nero or some other software and see if those work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that this afternoon before I reformat. I will let you know what, if anything, that I find out.

well as you read on the front page, it seems HP has some kind of conflict with EZ cd creator. I have an 8100+ and it works fine but thats because its an older model. Besides HP isnt a very good company because their support sucks (look how many HP products are still waiting for 2k drivers), and if its not made by HP they wont even attempt to answer your question. For instance i asked if my burner would burn 80 minute CDs their response was since HP doesnt make 80 minute CDs we dont know and dont care (not exact words but you get the point). If your looking for a good burner i would recommend plextor or ricoh.

ThC 129: If you're interested in hacked firmware for your HP 8100+ I can send it to you.. I'm using it myself and its working 100%, no more problems with 80min CDs..

From infofile:

"This firmware has been hacked to call itself HP 8100 instead of Sony CRX-100E. The LEDs act just as they did on the HP 8100 with this hacked firmware. The ONLY thing it does is flash an HP 8100 with 1.0n firmware in a way that doesn't cause the drive to call itself a Sony CRX-100E, and maintains the way the LEDs work on an HP 8100. Essentially, it's like a new version of the HP 8100 firmware. It solves problem with 80min CDs for good!"

HP8100 & Sony CRX-100E = Same drive...

It just sucks that HP didnt release this firmware, they have totally lost it !

(Still waiting for printer-drivers..zzz..zzz)

// Toby

Yahoo! It appears that the registar figured it out and finally got to the truth of the problem. Thwy said that HP is not to blame, that it is Adaptec's CD writing plugin in Media Player 7. HP said that the problem could be fixed by simply removing that one plugin on the MP7's install menu.

I am going to try this. I still think that there's no way that HP's blameless as I've never seen it happen to any other brand of CD Writer, but their's. Obviously they have some sort of issue in the firmware that makes their drives just a little bit incompatible with Adaptec ASPI. I just can't see all the blame going on Adaptec, is a software manufacturer supposed to write a special case in their software just for HP? Not to mention that the special case would be for a CD writer system that's been standardized for years.

Thanks for all the good help,

JediBaron

Well boys and girls, just thought I'd let you know that the HP fix worked without a hitch. As soon as I uninstalled the Adaptec Writer plug-in out of Media Player 7, the computer rebooted and all the CD Roms came back. smile

If you can't access your cdroms because of Adaptec, the trick is to delete the "filter" related values in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}