Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Down8

Need to deny Guest access to Drives

OK, I hope someone can help me. My fraternity is setting up an Unreal Tournament... tournament [whatever]. I run Win2K Server, so does our president. We are bringing down the computers of everyone in the house into our living room to do this, and other people will be using our machines. We have set up Guest accounts, but we can't find out how to keep the account from accessing other physical drives on the machine. We don't want someone looking through our personal files. I tried to unshare the drives from thier default share, but that didn't help. I really don't want to crack open my machine and pull the SCSI drives.

Any help is much appreciated,

-bZj

------------------

Code:
=====ThugBox=====                 =====GimpBox=====Home built system:                Just for fun:Soyo SY-7VCA Mainboard            AST Bravo LC 4/66d[VIA ApolloPro 133A T82C694X]     Intel 486/66MHz CPU[onboard sound]                   40MB RAM [2x16, 2x4]PIII 500E [flip chip]             500MB Conner HddPNY 128MB PC100 RAM               3 1/2, 5 1/4, 2x CDROMOEM 128MB PC133 RAM               3com Etherlink II [Ext.Transcvr]Stealth III S540 Video            Windows 95 [v4.00.1111]LinkSys NC100v2 Ethernet          pcAnywhere 9.2Adaptec AHA-1535A SCSI            [so I can leave it in the closet]Quantum Fireball 10.3GB Hdd       2 DEC SCSI Hdds [~3.5GB total]    NEC 3x SCSI CDROM [Ext.w/Caddy]   HP A4331D 20" Monitor             Logitec MouseMan [Compaq]         ^in about 12 peices on my floor^Win2K Server [v5.00.2195, SP-1]   [Will be installing Linux][format => clean install]         Norton AntiVirus 2000             Covad 768kbps sDSL w/3com switch & Flowpoint Router [sharedx6]

Right click on the drive and pull up the properties. Not the sharing tab, but the security tab. Remove the groups you don't don't want to have NTFS access to your "good" files. Be careful you don't look the admin out of the system files or anything silly like that. I think by default drives have everyone turned on for permissions which is kinda silly.

I think I found my problem. I don't have a "Security" Tab in my properties dialog.

Do you have to be NTFS formatted to have secure drives?

I use FAT32, so I can see things if I dual boot WinME.

-bZj

Quote:
Do you have to be NTFS formatted to have secure drives?

Yeah, FAT32 wasn't designed to be scalable, or secure. In NTFS, each file can have a comment, and restrictions. You wil have to convert it to NTFS. Remember that if you move to NTFS, you can't boot windows 9x on the same partition.

To convert your drive to NTFS:

Go to command prompt and type:

CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS [/V]

where driveletter is the letter of your drive (obviosly). The /V switch is not obligatory, but shows the progress of the conversion.

You CANNT SWITCH FROM NTFS back to FAT32 with this utility.

Well, it's not secure, but you could "hide" all the files as well. I'm not sure that would get the "smart" users, but the average layman would be clueless. Just do a attrib /s -r *.* or something on the directory.