Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Donald2B

Win2K Pro Woes...

I am running a dual boot setup with Win2K Pro/Win98SE. I am getting a BSOD in Win2K that is really starting to be frustrating and would like some insight as to what this problem might be.

Here is the Message:

STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

The Registry Cannot Load the hive (file):

\SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software

or its log or alternate.

IT is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Do not pass Go! Do not collect $200! frown.gif

This is the second time that this has happened. Machine runs perfectly, then I get this BSOD. I didn't know how to fix this last time so I reformatted the partition and then started over from scratch. I have been running great for about two weeks and then last night I got this BSOD again.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks All!!

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

Take a look at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q151/2/47.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

That is a pretty good support article on how to correct the kind of problem you are getting. Dual booting usually causes where things to happen so I tend to avoid it. I use Norton Ghost or DriveImage or make images. I don't really have the need for 98SE since any game I play runs fine on Win2K.

Etexter,

That was some good information. Only problem is that they dealt with the System file and not the software file. I can't find a backup of this file and I think that this is the file that is causing the problem. I am searching my harddrive right now to see if there is another backup copy of this file somewhere.

Would the two different OSs cause this problem even though they are on completely different hard drives? I have been running multiple OSs for a while now with no problems, except for this one. I just assumed that it was a Win2K problem. Maybe not.

------------------

System Specs:

Asus P2B-D

Dual PIII 700MHz

512MB PC100 RAM

Elsa GeForce2 GTS 64MB Video Card

Promise Ultra66 Controller

WD 15.3 GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

WD 20.5GB HDD ATA66 7200 RPM

Asus 50x CD-ROM

Sony 4x4x24 CD-RW

SB Live! Platinum

Razor Boomslang 2000 USB Mouse

Wacom 6x9 Intuous Art Tablet

SuperMicro SC-750A Case w/ 400 Watt PS

I doubt that it is due to your dual boot config. Cause I have set up my machine to dual boot in many different ways even with 98 and 2k on the same partition with out a problem. And i have had a triple boot wet up for about a month and a half now with no problems.

------------------

My System

Dell Demension XPS T500

Triple Boot Windows 2000 Pro 2195 (allways reliable) / Windows Whistler Pro 2250 (cool but buggy) / Windows Millennium Final (waste of disk space)

PIII @ 500 Mhz (with after market heatsink and dual fan)

128 Megs Ram

TNT2 Ultra Graphics Card (with the core and memory overclocked by 20 Mhz and dual voodoo coolers)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card

3Com 56k Modem

12.6 Gig IBM HD

40X CD Rom Drive

100 Mb Zip Drive